Question PC making a rattling sound? Any help to fix

Nov 11, 2022
So basically, most of the information needed goes like this;
  • This is a prebuilt from 2016-17.
  • There is definitely a huge & disgusting dust build up somewhere inside of the PC because I haven't been able to take it fully apart and clean it. (Due to being scared to since it's a prebuilt.)
  • It starts up & the fans run fine, but then once it gets to the startup screen something inside (I'm thinking one of the fans) starts making a large rattling noise.
One thing I've noticed is the fan over the CPU has a lot of dust caked up under it but I can't seem to know how to take it apart to clean it, or what I would even need to clean it with.

I'd really like help to fix this issue if possible, I'm currently working towards getting a completely new PC but I wish to stretch the life of this one at least to hold me until I can get that one.

Nov 11, 2022
I understand I have to clean it, for sure. I'm just kinda lost as to where I begin with deep cleaning it which is what I need help with. Should I be fully taking the PC apart? Should I just try to unmount certain parts of the case and clean it that way? If I had to guess, the rattling has to be coming from the CPU fan as that's where most of the dust is. (Previously I had just been cleaning the visible parts so for the most part they're not that dusty)

I'm going to need to learn how to do this sometime if I'm going to get a new & better PC. Just looking for advice to start with.