PC making an unusual low pitched whirring noise when playing games and on startup

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Hi guys, first of all I would like to say that I have some knowledge of computers but I do not know the advanced stuff.

In the last couple of days I have noticed that my computer has been making an odd low pitched whirring sound on startup and when playing games (such as Dying Light). I have tried to track the noise and I believe it is either coming from my power supply or my graphics card (possible a nearby fan). It is irritating and very noticeable and I don't want it causing further damage.

In addition to this, I have experienced some slow play on FIFA 15 singleplayer which has never happened before (however this may be down to a recent update or EA messing up again) and I am wondering if these two things are linked. I have not had a decrease in performance when playing Dying Light though.

By the way I have had my PC for about a year now and have never heard this noise before and it is happening regularly.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

Its weird how I have never had it before though... And it seems it could be affecting some games' performance

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
As a side note, I have looked at some videos of coil whine on YouTube and the sound I am hearing does not seem to be that.

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

I was thinking it could be a fan but I don't know how to go about correcting it.

I dont think it has anything to do with my hard drive as the noise doesn't seem to be coming from its position but thanks for the idea.

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Well.... I don't hear that whirring noise anymore, but... instead i hear a crackling sort of noise and I'm 99% sure its coming from my PSU. I am thinking of getting a replacement for it or blowing some air through it so see if any dust is causing the problem.

Does anyone have any guidance on what to do?

Joe_M

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
My specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core 3.80 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
PSU: Corsair 450V (I don't know the specs of the rails or anything just this)
Motherboard: ASUS (M5 A97 LE R2.0 if this bit means anything?)
Primary Hard Drive: SeaGate 1TB (SATA)
Secondary Hard Drive: Toshiba 2TB (SATA)

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
My PC randomly was making this sort of moaning noise, as strange as it sounds. I couldn't find out where about it was coming from, but it was quite low pitch.

Sorry if this is off topic but I might have a similar problem.

The originalposter hasn't come back since deciding a fan was the cause. Any dust on one side of a fan and not duplicated on the other will cause an imbalance and some sort of noise or another so it's as well to examine all your fans, including that one inside the powe rsupply unit.