Question PC making buzzing noise from motherboard / central area.

Apr 6, 2022
Here is a recording of a sound I am hearing from my PC. I understand that there is a lot of background noise from the fan, but if you turn the volume on really loud you can hear a constant buzzz sound.

I do not want to be rude but if you are of old age, there is a chance you are unable to hear the buzz as it is quite high pitched.

Problem Background

My PC has a buzzing noise whenever there is "some" load, such as playing a video game. The sound only starts when starting a game or a task, and the PC is completely quiet during normal operations. Furthermore, it is definitely not a fan issue, I have checked all the fans.

The reason I mention that it is only when there is "some" load, is because when I ran CineBench and Furmark to stress the CPU and GPU (both separately and together), there is no sound at all. However the sound starts when I play games or do video encoding that doesn't even use anywhere near 100% of CPU and GPU time.

It seems to be coming from a central area, and I think it is the motherboard. However it could also be the GPU, I can't tell at all.

PC Specs

Asus Tuf Gaming B550M Motherboard
Ryzen 5800x CPU
Asus RTX 3060Ti Dual OC GPU
2x16Gb 3600 Mhz Crucial Ballistix RAM
Cooler Master MWE 750 V2 Gold PSU
1TB W.D SN750 SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Has anyone heard similar sounds before? It gives off a weird "buzzing" sound, as opposed to coil whines that I hear online.

Thank you so much if anyone has any idea what this issue is...

Lutfij

Titan
That buzzing noise sounds very much like coil whine. Might want to roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a tube and hold one end of the tube to your ear while the other end is used to probe for the source of the noise. Check around all power delivery areas on the motherboard and GPU. What games are you taxing the system with?

Age of the PSU in your build? How are you cooling that system? have you made sure that there isn't a wire or debris impeding a fans rotation/blade?

Apr 6, 2022
That buzzing noise sounds very much like coil whine. Might want to roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a tube and hold one end of the tube to your ear while the other end is used to probe for the source of the noise. Check around all power delivery areas on the motherboard and GPU. What games are you taxing the system with?

Age of the PSU in your build? How are you cooling that system? have you made sure that there isn't a wire or debris impeding a fans rotation/blade?

Sorry for the late reply.

I ran Rise of The Tomb Raider and the CPU and GPU usage are about 20% in the task manager when I hear the sound.

I can also run some video encoding that uses 80% CPU and only about 10% GPU to get the sound.

As mentioned, running Furmark does not have any sound at all.

Everything is less than 4 months old.

The sound is not from the fans, that is for certain.

So its likely just coil whine then..?

Edit:
I am using Scythe Mugen ARGB Plus air cooler for the cpu. There are also 4 case fans. However I am really really sure the sound is not from any case, cpu, gpu or psu fan.

Mar 13, 2024
Sorry for the late reply.

I ran Rise of The Tomb Raider and the CPU and GPU usage are about 20% in the task manager when I hear the sound.

I can also run some video encoding that uses 80% CPU and only about 10% GPU to get the sound.

As mentioned, running Furmark does not have any sound at all.

Everything is less than 4 months old.

The sound is not from the fans, that is for certain.

So its likely just coil whine then..?

Edit:
I am using Scythe Mugen ARGB Plus air cooler for the cpu. There are also 4 case fans. However I am really really sure the sound is not from any case, cpu, gpu or psu fan.
Hi there. I have the same issue... Did you found any fix for this ... Or found out what part of your pc was the problem? Please reply sir.