[SOLVED] PC making clicking/ticking Noise & will only boot to bios / gigbyte screen

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Earlier today I heard my PC clicking but it stopped , then around 45 mins later it started up again as I tried to open the Battle.net launcher. The launcher got the coils not respond error & I couldn’t open up task manager or restart the PC without doing it manually. It almost sounds like a car blinker

after manually restarting it gets stuck at the very first screen where you can choose to go into BIOS.

All my components other than the 1TB HDD & SSD I are less than a year old.

5 3600x

asus 1650s

16gb Gskill ripjaws 3200 cl16

Antec 550W gold plus psu

gigbyte b550m DS3H

lian Li 205 case
Samsung 250 GB SSD
Samsung 1TB HDD

https://ibb.co/JpSVWXQ

https://streamable.com/4wssi1

Solution
is windows on the hdd or ssd?
if ssd, was the hdd in PC when you installed and did it ever have windows on it?

clicking could be hdd, its not something you want to hear from hdd, could try unplugging hdd from power inside case and see if that lets you boot into windows

Colif

Win 11 Master
if ssd, was the hdd in PC when you installed and did it ever have windows on it?

clicking could be hdd, its not something you want to hear from hdd, could try unplugging hdd from power inside case and see if that lets you boot into windows

Reactions: krsensei21
Solution

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020

clicking could be hdd, its not something you want to hear from hdd,

windows is on the SSD & the HDD was installed. I can’t remember if the HDD ever had windows on it.

honestly I really hope it’s the HDD & not the PSU I can grab a new HDD today.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
i would take glass off and see if you can isolate sound more
Just removed
well, i did mean to turn pc off before unplugging hdd power above, I guess I can't assume the op understood that detail :)
well, i did mean to turn pc off before unplugging hdd power above, I guess I can't assume the op understood that detail :)
Just removed the HDD & was able to boot up & loggin with no clicks. Been running for 5 mins with no clicks. Think it’s the HDD indeed.
https://streamable.com/havlbj

Colif

Win 11 Master
ok, so at least the pc can boot without the drive.

The hdd is pretty sick, and its why PC wouldn't boot as it was waiting for hdd to respond and it clearly wasn't.

Buy new hdd. They pretty cheap now and it might be bigger than what you had. At least its newer.
Nothing is near my hdd in my case so it would be pretty obvious.

Last edited:

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
ok, so at least the pc can boot without the drive.

The hdd is pretty sick, and its why PC wouldn't boot as it was waiting for hdd to respond and it clearly wasn't.

Buy new hdd. They pretty cheap now and it might be bigger than what you had. At least its newer.
Nothing is near my hdd in my case so it would be pretty obvious.
Thanks a ton really appreciate the help. Avoided a lot of anxiety lol!

Colif

Win 11 Master
how old is ssd as they give even less signs they going to die than hdd, they won't make knocking noises. If its about 5 years old or something you might want to update it too at some stage

I am glad it was so easy to figure out.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
how old is ssd as they give even less signs they going to die than hdd, they won't make knocking noises. If its about 5 years old or something you might want to update it too at some stage

I am glad it was so easy to figure out.
It’s probably around 5 years now actually. I was thinking of getting a SSD to replace the HDD if it’s worth the extra $50

Colif

Win 11 Master
Drive might be fine, my 250gb ssd in last pc was still at 100% when i stopped using it last year. I only used it for windows so it never did a lot.

worth considering, i would at least copy anything you want onto new hdd so its safer..

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a 1tb nvme, I was going to get a 500gb and got a 3tb hdd with it, but they sent me a 1tb for same price. So I hardly touch my hdd, it will still be brand new in a few years at this rate. I put most things on nvme.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
I have a 1tb nvme, I was going to get a 500gb and got a 3tb hdd with it, but they sent me a 1tb for same price. So I hardly touch my hdd, it will still be brand new in a few years at this rate. I put most things on nvme.
Sorry, one more question lol. If I could a 1TB ssd could I copy windows from my old SSD or would that be a fresh install? Seems like the best bet is getting a 1TB today & then an extra one down the line.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can clone the install over

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Or clean install, your choice.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
you can clone the install over

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Or clean install, your choice.
Sweet! HUGE HUDGE thanks for your help, I would’ve been so lost today.