[SOLVED] PC making loud noise after a few hours ?

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
I have a new problem with my PC, everything works fine when i boot it up, the PC is silent, Temps are fine, everything is fine but after a few hours, out of nowhere, the PC start making loud noise like the fans are speeding up, i checked the Temps and fans speed with HWmonitor , they are all fine and didn't change after the noise started. I already opened and cleaned my PC and made sure there is nothing wrong, i did not install any software for months and i did not change anything in the Bios or anything in the PC overall, it was working perfectly for months until now. So i have no idea where the issue is, the noise goes away after i turn off and on again, but after 8/16 hours the noise comes back regardless if idle or not.

My average temps are:

Motherboard 42c
CPU 0, 44c
CPU 1, 39c
GPU 42c
HDD 36c

What's wrong with my PC ?

Last edited:
Solution
700.000 means 700RPM.
700,000 means 700,000RPM.
there is a huge difference between seven hundred & seven hundred thousand.

Thanks for the info, but it's reporting 700000 not 700.000, i typed 700.000 to make it easier to read, but maybe they meant it 700 RPM like you said.

It's has been 10 hours since i reinstalled the drivers, so far no noise ! but i'm not optimistic about it. If it keeps silent like that for more 14 hours, then the problem is probably fixed.
I have a new problem with my PC, everything works fine when i boot it up, the PC is silent, Temps are fine, everything is fine but after a few hours, out of nowhere, the PC start making loud noise like the fans are speeding up, i checked the Temps and fans speed with HWmonitor , they are all fine and didn't change after the noise start. I already opened and cleaned my PC and made sure there is nothing wrong, i did not install any software for months and i did not change anything in the Bios or anything in the PC overall, it was working perfectly for months until now. So i have no idea where the issue is, the noise goes away after i turn off and on again, but after 8/16 hours the noise comes back regardless if idle or not.

My average temps are:

Motherboard 42c
CPU 0, 44c
CPU 1, 39c
GPU 42c
HDD 36c

What's wrong with my PC ?
full specs please?

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
My PC is:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU dual core E5800 @ 3.20GHz
4GB Ram
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
motherboard: POS-ECIG41BS
hard drive: ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device 500gb
monitor: AOC 1950w 1366x768 60hz
i don't know the PSU name or model but it's a 2 year old 400w PSU.

So it's a 6 years old, very low end PC. It was working perfectly until now. The temps are the same with and without the noise.

start making loud noise like the fans are speeding up
pretty easy to verify.
just test the fans while the noise is happening.
if manually stopping one of them halts the noise then you can either reduce the max speed of that fan or replace it.
So it's a 6 years old
it may have been purchased 6 years ago but it is housing ~10 year old hardware.
your best bet may just be to start to modernize a bit and as you're upgrading you will be eliminating the noise by replacing the culprit with newer components.

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
Right now my PC is very silent, HWmonitor is reporting 2664 RPM for CPU fan and 749688 RPM for GPU, it was the same when it was doing noise, but i don't know how accurate HWmonitor is. I think it's the PSU fan, but why would the PSU fan only do noise after 12 hours on ?

749688 RPM for GPU
this is obviously an error with the sensor. or a typo?
no fan runs at 750,000RPM.
I think it's the PSU fan...

why would the PSU fan only do noise after 12 hours on ?
test it the same way.

it can depend on a lot of things including the airflow through the system and how secluded the power supply may be.
if it is trapped in an area with little or no ventilation it can slowly recycle it's own air until the temperature starts increasing and kicks in the fans at a high speed.

Reactions: koke0070

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
OK now i 100% know what's my problem, it was not the PSU, it was the GPU fan, when the noise came back i went to the Radeon overlay and manually turned down the fan to 25%, the noise suddenly stopped, and i noticed no difference in the GPU temps. So maybe my AMD driver is bugged, corrupted, i'm reinstalling the drivers, if that does not work maybe i need to manually setup a good fan speed for my GPU. Now the 700.000 RPM makes sense.

Jun 26, 2021
Did you take a look at your fans on the gpu when its happening? its probably dust or something in the fan hub and it might be helped by blowing them out with some air. If your comfortable taking things apart its not the most complicated thing to re oil the fan bearings but that really depends on the type of fan and how its setup but if you can lower the fan speed and it doesn't create heating issues then that's the easiest temporary fix for it but it wont outright fix the problem. But of your fine with it that all that matters. Still worth taking a look to see the fans when its happening juts to make sure its not loose or something potentially more problematic. I doubt that if your fan locked up it would melt down or cause a fire hazard but it never hurts to look when its something easy to see.

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
I opened and cleaned my PC three times since it started the noise, i saw nothing wrong with the GPU fan. I just reinstalled the drivers and the fan speed metric still bugged, reporting 700.000 RPM, despite no noise, i think the sensor or whatever that record the GPU fan speed is broken. Let's see if at least the noise stopped.

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
I also doubt if it's the fan bearing or if the fan it's loose, because the noise only start after at least 1 hour, and never stops until i slow down the fan manually,

700.000 means 700RPM.

you will need to determine language translation to English when typing these sort of numbers on English based sites.

if your case offers adequate cooling options you can add fans underneath and directly in front of the GPU and possibly add some exhaust.
this can allow for lower GPU fan speeds while still staying cool enough.

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
700.000 means 700RPM.

Thanks for the info, but it's reporting 700000 not 700.000, i typed 700.000 to make it easier to read, but maybe they meant it 700 RPM like you said.

It's has been 10 hours since i reinstalled the drivers, so far no noise ! but i'm not optimistic about it. If it keeps silent like that for more 14 hours, then the problem is probably fixed.

Solution

koke0070

Prominent
May 5, 2020
Yep, still no noise, i think the problem is fixed, so the driver was corrupted and making my fan spin at 100% for no reason. Reinstalling the driver fixed the problem.