Question PC making weird ”electronic” noise when gaming ?

Aug 13, 2022
My pc is just 2 weeks old and it’s making a weird sound whenever i’m playing something. It starts making weird ”electronic”noise, that’s the best way I can describe it. And it only happens when i’m gaming. As soon as I leave a match, it stops. Or if just press the windows button, the sound stops immediately. And the sound slightly changes as I move around in the game. It’s not that loud but it’s still annoying. At first I thought the sound was coming from my gpu but quickly I realized it’s not. Then I was convinced it was the chipset fan since they are apparently known for being really bad in X570 motherboards. And also because the sound is pretty similar to a grinding noise. But when I stopped the fan, the sound didn’t disappear. Now i’m so confused and I have no idea where is it coming from. It’s not coming from my case fans either and not from my cpu fan. It seems like the sound is coming from somewhere around the bottom.

And my specs are:

Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Msi GeForce GTX 1070

and i’m still pretty new pcs if you couldn’t tell already

Last edited:
Is it a bad thing? Is there any way to get rid of it?
Assuming it actually is coil whine....

It's neither harmful nor an indication of anything going wrong in the system and is common with modern GPU and motherboard VRM designs. It's also not easy to get rid of but changing the clocks or voltage of your CPU or GPU (whichever is the source of it) can sometimes help -- or make it worse.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 13, 2022
Sounds like coil whine if it's electrical, my guess would be the GPU. If it's not coil whine, it could be the case vibrating. If you press on one of the side panels does it go away? I have this problem, just haven't got around to sorting it.
Well it turns out the sound is coming from my gpu after all. Also for some reason right now it’s not making that noise anymore in some games. When I played cs earlier today it used to make a lot of noise but now it’s just quiet. I also tried valorant and again, it was quiet. Then I tried fortnite because warzone didn’t open for some reason and then it started making the noise a little bit. It seems like it only makes that noise when the gpu usage % is high. But it’s weird because it used to do it in all games, even when I played sims 4 it was making the noise. But now it’s mostly gone. So it’s just coil whine I guess and it’s not a big deal.