[SOLVED] PC malfunctions after installing New Ram

Jan 10, 2021
Good day everyone. Can anyone help me trouble shoot my problem, thanks. I'm new so please bear with me.

So I used to have a 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600hz. I bought 2 sticks of Kingston 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600hz but when I install them, my pc won't boot and just keeps restarting.

When I put back my old ram, the problem goes away and everything works fine.

At first I thought the new rams are faulty but when I inserted it to the pc of my friend, it works fine. We even had it on for an entire day.

There was one moment when my pc booted with 1 8GB stick on I used it for 30 min but when I shut down, the pc would blue screen then restart again. I'm so lost.

Here's my mobo: Asus H61M-C
My OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

What I already tried:
  1. Making sure I apply enough pressure and hear the click when inserting the RAM sticks.
  2. Updating my BIOS
  3. Changing and resetting the CMOS battery
  4. Tried placing 1 stick at a time, interchanging the sticks, sadly, only my old ram works fine with no issues at all.
Any idea what I can do? Pls help I hope someone can help here... Because none of my friends have any idea what to do

Last edited:
Solution
I am sure the issue is memory compatibility (or lack thereof, in the case).

The H61 chipset only supports one double-sided DIMM Memory module (RAM module) per memory-channel and therefore is limited to 16 GB instead of the 32 GB like the others support. On H61-based motherboards with four DIMM slots, only four single-sided DIMMs can be installed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Compatible memory (including types) can be found here:

Jan 10, 2021
I suspect you simply have incompatible memory for the old motherboard.

Not all DDR3 memory is the same. Some newer DDR3 is a higher density than some old motherboards can use.

What is the full, exact model of the memory you are trying to use?

Hello. Not sure if this is the one you're looking for (sorry I'm not techie) but after checking out the ram it says

KVR16N11/8 8GB PC3 - 12800 CL11 240-Pin DIMM

What do you think?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The H61 chipset only supports one double-sided DIMM Memory module (RAM module) per memory-channel and therefore is limited to 16 GB instead of the 32 GB like the others support. On H61-based motherboards with four DIMM slots, only four single-sided DIMMs can be installed.

Reactions: Janus1998
Solution
Jan 10, 2021

Thank you, very informative. Not sure if it's allowed here but can you recommend me a stick that will surely work with my mobo (if it's not faulty, ofc)? I just want to make have more ram to play a certain game. Thank you