News PC Market Will Grow for 5 Years, but Shortages Will Also Persist: IDC

PC market on track to continue growing over five years.
no surprise there.
even here at Tom's for the last 12-18 months it seems like >75% of new posts are about, "i've just built my first computer..."
of course usually whining here about how they can't get it to work even though they've done zero research before or after the build.

InvalidError

Titan
I wouldn't be so optimistic about PC growth persisting that long. Covid is practically the only reason PC sales bounced back from a steady ~10 years decline. Now that a massive number of people have either gotten their first PC or gone through a long-overdue upgrade due to work-from-home requirement, I'd expect the return to normally schedule decline to be fairly swift.

Still going to need server infrastructure to support more stuff getting done remotely though.

Reactions: shady28
Now that a massive number of people have either gotten their first PC or gone through a long-overdue upgrade due to work-from-home requirement, I'd expect the return to normally schedule decline to be fairly swift.
that's definitely true.

though PC gaming has been on a rather big incline for a few years now also.
most of my old friends that have been console addicts since N64 & Playstation have been commenting about how they need a good gaming computer now.

there's also the factor that mobile devices are getting much more powerful and can handle a lot of what we used to need computers for.
so this could also lead to another decline in computer sales over the next decade.

ASK THE COMMUNITY