PC mashed during shipping

G

So I got my homebuilt system shipped and it's pretty messed up. The case structure was warped when I got it and the CPU cooling unit broke clean off and was rattling around the case.

Now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I already installed a new cooling unit, but I still don't get anything on the display, so I'm thinking it's the graphics card.

When I turn on the power, the monitor receives a signal (there is no "no signal" display) but the screen remains blank and the led light, which normally should be green, is yellow (standby mode). Also, the graphics card fan is going nuts on 100%.

Anyone any clues? I want to make sure it's really the graphics card before I go buy a new one.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
If the cooling unit was rattling around the case it may have bounced off a few components causing issues that are affecting the machine now. If you can claim on insurance I suggest you do so. Otherwise it is a matter of stripping the PC and testing the components to determine what is still viable and what is not. It sounds like your machine had a very hard time so I would expect there is the possibility of multiple issues.

G

THanks. I didn't have insurance for it.

Guess I'll have to take it to the shop as I don't have a spare desktop lying around. Sigh.

G

Wait, if I can hear the Windows startup sound, that should mean the other components are fine and that the problem is with the graphics card?