[SOLVED] PC memory went back 2 years

Apr 24, 2022
Hi,

I have a prebuilt PC I bought from best buy back in 2016-17. It has a b350m bazooka motherboard, RX 580, Ryzen 5 1400, and 16 GBs of ram. I tried to get into my bios but couldn't because it required a password that I didn't know. So to circumvent this, I turned off my pc, opened it, and pressed a screwdriver on the the JBAT 1 prongs. This allowed me to enter my bios. However, my PC's memory went back to 2020 and did not have any files from recent time (2021-now) . I even had to migrate my windows back to my SSD because it was put back onto my HDD. All the files and pictures I had after 2020 are now gone. Is there a way to get these files / the most recent memory of my PC back? I've tried to look into doing the system restore points method, but the only restore point it shows is on 4/21/22.

Solution
Sounds like all that happened was it booted from the HDD instead of the SSD, in which case you could've just set the BIOS to boot from the SSD again instead.

However if you've since overwritten the SSD by cloning the HDD install over it, that would have erased everything that was on the SSD--depends on exactly how you did this "migration."
Sounds like all that happened was it booted from the HDD instead of the SSD, in which case you could've just set the BIOS to boot from the SSD again instead.

However if you've since overwritten the SSD by cloning the HDD install over it, that would have erased everything that was on the SSD--depends on exactly how you did this "migration."

Solution
Apr 24, 2022

View: https://youtu.be/5Wml2PfkE-k

i followed this guide

Yep, you have cloned the older install over the newer one, overwriting all of your 2021 and newer documents in the process. Given that it's an SSD and modern garbage collection is so efficient, even something less effective at data destruction such as formatting the drive would've still been unrecoverable so I'm afraid your data is just gone.

So you had a working 2022 image and destroyed it to make two identical bootable copies of an installation from 2020.

Reactions: cchon90