Question PC might be fried, need help to diagnose.

webheadx9

Honorable
May 19, 2018
I was just working on vscode and all of a sudden the PC went off all on its own, at first i thought it was just the power, the pc switched on by itself right after but there was no signal on the monitors and I could smell something burning so i quickly switch off the power from the outlet, i tried turning it back on after a while but same issue, nothing is displaying on the monitor but the tower does power on, the fans are all spinning, i took my gpu out and tried booting up using the integrated gpu but still same issue and i could smell the burning again so i witched it off. Another thing i noticed is that if i press and hold on the power button, it won't switch off the PC, i have to turn the power off from the outlet. Could it be the PSU?

Specs:
Ryzen 3600
RTX 3070
Corsair CX650W
HyperX fury 8GB x2
Mobo Asrock b450 r4 pro (dont remember the exact name.)

update: Tired using an old PSU and still same issue, the tower has power but no signal to the monitor. Also with the old PSU i can force shutdown it by holding the power button.

Last edited:

webheadx9

Honorable
May 19, 2018
you need to find where smeell come from so carefully look at mobo with a magnifier and your cpu does not have internal video chipset so system wont boot .
i think the smell is coming from near the cpu socket around the vrms, i can still smell it now. do you think my cpu is still ok?

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If the VRMs have fried, there's a good chance the CPU has died. The only way to find out is to transfer the CPU to another motherboard, but you might end up killing this motherboard too.

Was the Ryzen 3600 being overclocked when the system failed? Looking at the Asrock B450-HDV R4.0 (which might be similar to your board) I see there are no heatsinks on the VRMs. Although the TDP for the 3600 is "only" 65W, the CPU might pull considerably more power if heavily overclocked.

The Corsair CX650W appears to be a Tier C Low-End PSU if I'm reading the list on this web site correctly.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Similarly, this web site recommends PSUs of 750W or higher for the RTX 3070.

https://www.techreviewer.com/best-t...commended-pc-power-supplies-for-rtx-3070-gpus

If you decide to rebuilt the system around the 3600 and RTX 3070, you might consider a slightly better motherboard with VRM cooling and a 750W PSU from Tier B.