PC monitor goes black while playing games, but the fans are still running

Aug 1, 2018
My build was built this January with all the parts brand new when I got them. This is my first PC build so I’m still uncertain over things.

However, I've been noticing that sometimes the monitor suddenly goes black while playing a game such as TERA or the Witcher 3 while the computer fans keeps on running (I don't know if the computer itself keeps on running). The keyboard and the mouse both are disconnected when the monitor shuts down, and nothing is responsive (e.g. num lock on keyboard). When this happens, I would shut the computer down with the button and restart it, where then it'd work fine again.

It didn't use to happen frequently, but now it's increasing in rate and can happen 2 times a day. The last time it happened, just 10 minutes before I typed this, everything went dark. However, strangely, the button now wouldn't work to shut down the computer either, and I had to do it manually using the plug.

I've tried memtest and the windows memory tester which both tell me my memory is fine. There were no blue screens of death or any weird lines on the computer, so I don't think it's a RAM issue.

I think it might be a mobo issue since none of the peripherals and accessories are connecting to the computer, and the button didn't work.

I don't overclock my computer, and it's not overheated when it shuts down.

My build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1500X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

RAM: Crucial Technology, 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4

Storage: Toshiba 1GB HDD

Solution
This is a known issue with Nvidia gpu's and displays that use HDMI and alot more prevalent with multi display configurations aswell, but the multi display alows you to know if your pc is crashing or not. I have this happen quite often and to be honest ive gotten used to it, best thing ive done was wipe the initial driver that windows installs and then download the latest geforce driver that came out today actually(8/1/18)**you may have to restart your pc before installing the driver, most pc's dont recognize the gpu hardware after all drivers are deleted. This fixed it for me.

For the power issue, i would honestly go into power options in control panel and make sure everything is set correctly and not askew.(I would personally do a...

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
This is a known issue with Nvidia gpu's and displays that use HDMI and alot more prevalent with multi display configurations aswell, but the multi display alows you to know if your pc is crashing or not. I have this happen quite often and to be honest ive gotten used to it, best thing ive done was wipe the initial driver that windows installs and then download the latest geforce driver that came out today actually(8/1/18)**you may have to restart your pc before installing the driver, most pc's dont recognize the gpu hardware after all drivers are deleted. This fixed it for me.

For the power issue, i would honestly go into power options in control panel and make sure everything is set correctly and not askew.(I would personally do a clean install, and i mean clean reformat the drive and do a clean install)

On a side note the best test ive found to see if the black screens went away was running fire strike through 3dmark. Its the only application that i have to turn my display on and off to get to display.

Hope this helps. Report back if you need any help from what ive said.

Solution
Aug 1, 2018
I did a clean install of the drivers, but the black screen issue is still persisting. My mouse, game, and screen are also lagging, which isn't the fault of the mouse or game.