pc monitor has no signal after installing xfx r9 280x gpu

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
So i build a pc using the mobo that i already had. After finishing with the building i plugged the monitor to the gpu outputs but there was no signal. Could it be because of my shity mobo? Please help

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

Are you trying to use the hdmi socket if so you need to install the drivers for the card before you will get a signal,use the dvi socket and after drivers are installed you can then switch to hdmi.

FunGui

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Have you installed drivers? Try switching to integrated graphics by plugging monitor into motherboard I/O and see if that works.

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

no i am using a vga cable with dvi-i adapter

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

how do i install drivers?

Get them from AMD's site, however you still need to get an image on the monitor before you do that. Let's confirm:

1) Video card is attached to motherboard
2) Power cables attached to video card
3) Monitor connected to video card (via adapter)
4) Monitor is selecting proper INPUT (i.e. VGA)

Other:
1) Are you getting the CPU fan spinning, the graphics card fan spinning, and lights on the motherboard?

2) To be clear.. this is a new build so now Windows yet as you're stuck with no video output?

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

the only way i can use my monitor is removining the gpu! even if i plug my monitor to the mobo i get no signal since the gpu is in. i tried to install the amd program but for it to work it needs the gpu in the system.

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

i dont know what mobo i have i just know that its by hp and its atx

ThanosKol

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

dont know how to do that but ill see about that one! ty for replying

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
You`ll need to find out the mobo model from hp and it could be you just need to upadate the bios so the mobo can see the card. You might need to get a new mobo as brands like hp don`t really support newer cards etc with upto date bios.