Question PC monitor suddenly disconnects randomly, then it uses the Windows Basic Display driver after i hard restart it ?

kevinlincoln155

Reputable
Sep 21, 2018
Sometimes when i'm in the mid of gaming, the monitor suddenly went blank, like no signal. At the same time, i also heard my GPU fan started spinning slowly (im in a quiet room, so i can hear it). After that, i press the restart button to restart my pc. Then after showing bios loading and windows loading, the resolution start being weird, like it's on low resolution, like in safe mode but not at the same time because i can use wifi and audio is disabled.

Whenever this happened, i always re install my GPU driver, AMD software Adrenaline edition. After reinstall the driver and restart the PC it goes back to normal, until it happens again which might be the next day or a few weeks later. Anyone know the cause of this ?

My specs :
Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 (bios version P4.00)
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (ye i know my cpu is kinda old, planning to buy the new one later)
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR4 (2x8)
Radeon RX 6500 XT
PSU Aerocool LUX 550W (1 year old since i bought it)
MidasForce SSD 512GB (windows)
WD HDD 1TB (forgot the details)

Bonus: i actually use an LG 32LH510D Television as a monitor.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured just before or at the time the monitor suddenly went black.

Individual errors, etc. can be clicked for more details. The details may or may not be helpful but look for error code numbers and descriptions.

Reliability History is very easy to use and the timeline format can prove helpful.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran