Question PC monitor turns green and freezes/restarts when I start a game with high system requirements ?

Ronald Sterijuanna

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
This has been happening for last few weeks.
Whenever I start a game, specially a game with high requirement, the PC turns green (or red or some other color or simply goes blank) if I haven't played any game for a while, whereas games with low requirements take more time than average to start. After restarting everything works fine (for now). Yesterday it was also making buzzing noise before restarting. Is my GPU (gigabyte gtx 1050ti) going bad?

Btw, this has been only occurring when I start the PC after having it turned off for some time (a day or two) and not if I am actively playing games in it. Incidentally, I reinstalled windows 10 before these problems were happening and now I also cant install a lot of games (the PC is showing directx file is missing or some other issues) that I could previously.

PC specs
CPU: i5 2400
Motherboard: asrock h61
Ram: 4gb + 4gb ddr3 apacer
SSD: kingstone 240gb
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1050ti
PSU: thermaltake litepower 550 (5 years)
Monitor: msi 21inch

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Whenever I start a game, specially a game with high requirement, the PC turns green (or red or some other color or simply goes blank) if I haven't played any game for a while, whereas games with low requirements take more time than average to start.
That could be a GPU issue or a PSU issue or a thermal issue.

Yesterday it was also making buzzing noise before restarting.
Have you narrowed down the source of the noise Is it coming from the PSU or the GPU's fan?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Ronald Sterijuanna

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
Whenever I start a game, specially a game with high requirement, the PC turns green (or red or some other color or simply goes blank) if I haven't played any game for a while, whereas games with low requirements take more time than average to start.
That could be a GPU issue or a PSU issue or a thermal issue.

Yesterday it was also making buzzing noise before restarting.
Have you narrowed down the source of the noise Is it coming from the PSU or the GPU's fan?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.
done

Ronald Sterijuanna

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
PSU: thermaltake litepower 550 (5 years)
That might very well be your culprit(as that unit is considered an expensive paperweight). Swap the unit out for a branded, reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power at the entire system's disposal.
yeah, a lot of people suspects its the PSU whenever I post an issue with my specs, but so far it hasn't been the case