Question Pc monitor won't turn on after installing new gpu!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
specifically an rx580. My previous gpu was also from ATI. Anyway i put the gpu into the slot correctly, i connect it to my psu. I try to open the pc, but although everything is spinning as it's supposed to, the monitor will not react. I made sure to connect the monitor cable with the gpu as normal.
The keyboard lights flash for a few seconds and then nothing. For instance pressins CAPS lock will not turn on the corresponding light.

Just to make sure i was not doing anything wrong, i reconnected my old gpu and it works. My psu has more than enough watts to support my new card.

Does anyone have any idea about what might be causing this? Is it possible that the new gpu itsself is damaged?

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Not as likely that the motherboard is the culprit, this is much more a sign of a faulty PSU when the previous GPU is lower power or a firmware problem.

Did you say you have latest BIOS installed?
Actually, i did not. I have no clue to be honest, about how to check this out.

Oh, in case i did not mention this, the old card is a Radeon hd 6850. the new one is RX 580. Motherboard is p67a-gd55 (ms-7681)

It's a PCI-E 2 motherboard, but they are supposed to be 100% compatible with PCI-E 3

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, checked it out. Apparently, according to system information the bios driver is from November 2010. Do you think updating it might fix my problem?
Ah I asked it earlier but didn't see the response so couldn't remember.

It might do. It's certainly the best step before changing hardware around. Don't get me wrong, I still think it would be useful for you to change your PSU before it causes a problem if it hasn't already.

But some older chipsets struggle for newer GPUs and sometimes firmware can cause a conflict. Update the BIOS first and then see.

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Ah I asked it earlier but didn't see the response so couldn't remember.

It might do. It's certainly the best step before changing hardware around. Don't get me wrong, I still think it would be useful for you to change your PSU before it causes a problem if it hasn't already.

But some older chipsets struggle for newer GPUs and sometimes firmware can cause a conflict. Update the BIOS first and then see.
Are you sure this is a good idea? I read that a BIOS update fuck-up can really screw my entire motherboard
Which to be honest, i am planning to change soon, it's just that, with the new motherboard i'll also need a new cpu and ram due to compatibility issues

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you sure this is a good idea? I read that a BIOS update fuck-up can really screw my entire motherboard
Which to be honest, i am planning to change soon, it's just that, with the new motherboard i'll also need a new cpu and ram due to compatibility issues
I update BIOS' all the time. Very common practice and something that a lot of people get worried about because of various horror stories. In reality it's a simple process, just a simple process which if is interfered with, can brick the motherboard (newer motherboards are not so prone to this).

Basically the BIOS is obviously the firmware that allows your components to work with one another, so without that firmware, the components won't work. When a BIOS is updating, it's important that you update it with the right BIOS file (which is dead simple, just download it from the motherboard's site) and at a basic level, make sure the PC isn't powered off or loses power during the update, or the BIOS can become corrupt = bricked motherboard.

It really is common practice, it just isn't recommended unless you're actually encountering a problem or need an update for compatibility. And the reason for this, is simply because a newer BIOS won't necessarily bring you anything unless it's a specific need you have, but if you're encountering a hardware problem, the first thing you should usually do after drivers, is make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
I update BIOS' all the time. Very common practice and something that a lot of people get worried about because of various horror stories. In reality it's a simple process, just a simple process which if is interfered with, can brick the motherboard (newer motherboards are not so prone to this).

Basically the BIOS is obviously the firmware that allows your components to work with one another, so without that firmware, the components won't work. When a BIOS is updating, it's important that you update it with the right BIOS file (which is dead simple, just download it from the motherboard's site) and at a basic level, make sure the PC isn't powered off or loses power during the update, or the BIOS can become corrupt = bricked motherboard.

It really is common practice, it just isn't recommended unless you're actually encountering a problem or need an update for compatibility. And the reason for this, is simply because a newer BIOS won't necessarily bring you anything unless it's a specific need you have, but if you're encountering a hardware problem, the first thing you should usually do after drivers, is make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Maybe i am being paranoid, but with the luck i have i don' consider it impossible to experience a power failure just when i am updating my motherboard

There is an update, dating to march 2013 which says "improved vga compatibility." Not sure if it's relevant to a card release 4 years later

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe i am being paranoid, but with the luck i have i don' consider it impossible to experience a power failure just when i am updating my motherboard

There is an update, dating to march 2013 which says "improved vga compatibility." Not sure if it's relevant to a card release 4 years later
Absolutely, this means they've made some improvements to compatibility with graphics cards in basic terms.

For the new gpu it's pcie 8 for the old it's pcie 6. My psu has both (6 along with an auxillary 2 in case they are needed, to be precise)

Well that's 75 more watts. If I were a betting man, I would say your cable is bad or not firmly seated. Try swapping it out. To be honest the two extra pins are there to say "75 more watts are okay" they don't supply any extra power. HOWEVER if a board detects the loss of ground, then yep, you bet your bottom a power regulator may become unstable.

The 480 series also pulled DANG close to the 75 Watt PEG standard (after the fix). If your motherboard can't handle that...

I'm not sure what improvements the 580 made to that design flaw. I then they went from 6 pin to 8 pin PCIe. Maybe they put another 2 VRM phase on the PCIe power bus. It's hard to say.

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Well that's 75 more watts. If I were a betting man, I would say your cable is bad or not firmly seated. Try swapping it out. To be honest the two extra pins are there to say "75 more watts are okay" they don't supply any extra power. HOWEVER if a board detects the loss of ground, then yep, you bet your bottom a power regulator may become unstable.

The 480 series also pulled DANG close to the 75 Watt PEG standard (after the fix). If your motherboard can't handle that...

I'm not sure what improvements the 580 made to that design flaw. Maybe they put another VRM phase on the PCIe power bus. It's hard to say.
I have more than 1 pin sets though, tried them all

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
UPDATE, so i googled my issue, and it appears a lot of people with my motherboard who upgraded to either the 4xx or the 5xx series solved the problem by "Flashing the bios" this means updating it, right?

i assume they also had the same issue with other gpus, i just did not care to search about it

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Flashing in that sense is the same as updating the BIOS yes.
Ok, but my motherboard's bios updates all say "for windows xp or windows 7" which makes sense since i don't think that windows 10 existed back then lol.
Is it still safe to update the bios?
Also, my motherboard came out in 2010.. what are the chacnes of a bottleneck, in the off chance that something goes wrong?
Finally, should i just use the update saying"improved vga compatibility" or do i just head straight for the very latest update?

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
So.. i did some research of my own.. only to find total madness.

MSI has this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc
video about BIOS update..

but i also found another msi article about something called "live update" in there, it had instructions on how to do a BIOS update.. https://www.msi.com/page/live-update-5-manual

Then on Msi forums i found yet another method requiring "tool93"

Not counting all the little variations
Which one am i supposed to use??

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
This is the page for your motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P67AGD55

Then under the BIOS tab, there is some small writing - so use one of these (linked)
"How to flash the BIOS ( SOP Download)
Youtube: MSI® HOW-TO use M-FLASH for BIOS
We suggest using Chrome, Firefox 3.0 or IE 9.0 above browsers to download BIOS, Drivers, etc. "
Yes, i found that. That's where i got the link from the video. But what about the other options? Such as this live-update thing?

Also, does my usb need to be empty? other than the update i mean. And is there any reason that in the video he ejects the usb before he restarts his pc?

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Ok, so i went into the bios clicked settings Mflash, update bios, it showed my usb stick, and when i clicked it it said" there is no bios file in this USB key, please copy a bios file in the root folder of the USB key"
But it's already there! it's not in any subfolder

Allen_22

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Further update. I tried using an older update for BIOS. One that did not specifically say "OS windows xp, windows 7.
Well, the good news is that it updated normally. The bad news is that my gpu still will not play.
I updated to version 1.19, but it seems it needs version 4.3(which also mentions something about improving display card performance) in order to, presumably, work.

TRENDING THREADS