Question PC needs multiple button presses to power on (no fans or leds)

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
This started happening yesterday, PC wouldn't turn on right away, took like 3 minutes after the first attempt, I re plugged the PSU, turned it off, clicked on the power button, re plugged everything until it finally powered on.
At night it took 10 minutes, I ended up also removing the ram sticks and cleaning them, I placed 1 correctly and the other not, it POSTed with the beep, I put back the ram correctly again and it booted normally.

Today it happened the same thing, it took like 2 minutes of attempts, re plugged the PSU from the wall in my attempts and it finally powered on.

To be clear, no fans would run or leds would power on.

This also only happens if the PC has been shut for like 1-2 hours, if I restart it while I'm using it, it will power on right away as it is already "warmed up".

Everything is running smoothly while it is powered on, no ram issues afaik.

Before this, the PC would fail to power off completely sometimes (I think my z370 is at fault because it didn't happen with the z390) and would even power on again by itself, I had to hold the power button or turn off the PSU because it would never power off, restarting would sometimes leave it hanging in the limbo state.

I have the following components (everything is compatible):

i7 9700k (not OCed)
z370-a pro (only taken out of the box 6 months ago)
2x16gb (XMP settings but in manual, same voltage, clock and timings)
rtx 2080 (not OCed)
2x hdd 7200
m2 sata ssd
pcie ssd
pcie wifi card
seasonic focus+ gold fx 750w

Last edited:

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I haven't tried that yet, as for the PSU, there's another PC with a 550w, but I don't think it's enough (I could just unplug the GPU I guess).

Last edited:

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
Alright I've tried unplugging every peripheral, didn't work, the PSU did a crackling noise when I flipped its button off, didn't happen always, I've tried flipping it and powering multiple times.
So I've decided to remove the power cables from the GPU without unplugging, it finally powered on and POSTed with the beep, I connected the power cables of the GPU and the peripherals again and it booted without any issue.

Next time it doesn't work, I'll try removing the PSU, possibly cleaning it, try it again and if needed try it with the other PSU without the GPU.

Edit: It worked first try this morning without me doing anything, I'll keep monitoring the issue.

Last edited: