PC Newbie! Help!

Oct 31, 2018
Hey Guys!

I am new to this site and to PC gaming in general. A few months ago I bought a pre-built desktop. I know I know, not the best decision but it was the most convenient and financially affordable option for me at the time. I just started to PC game more recently and realized I want to upgrade but have no idea where to start. Here are the current specs of my system:

AMD Radeon RX 560
System Memory (RAM)
8 gigabytes
Processor Speed (Base)
3.5 gigahertz
Processor Model
AMD FX
Processor Model Number FX-6300

Again, I know it’s not the best but I am also new and would love to learn how everything works. I am giving myself about a $600 budget. What upgrades should I make? Also, I am confused on how to upgrade, I have been told if upgrading one component such as a processor, I would likely have to upgrade my motherboard. Is that true? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

drawingpin

Reputable
Dec 5, 2016
While the spec you have isn't that bad, it's not that great either. The good news is you (hopefully) didn't pay that much for it. The bad news is it's a CPU generation back. You could spend money on a only very slightly better but CPU. The problem is I doubt you'll get much of a performance bump and for the money you'll spend it won't be worth it. Most people will tell you that you'll need to rebuild as not only is your CPU last generation, the memory is as well. I would say however that in your case you should see some improvements by buying say an RX 580 or a 1060 graphics card (depending on your monitor). Both of these cards are at a very good price point right now and you'll be able to carry them through to any future rebuild. Also the performance bump you should get will help with any games. The only issue you may have is that the CPU may throttle the GPU, but it's not that old so hopefully this shouldn't happen.

artk2219

Distinguished

Technically your current motherboard would probably support up to an FX 8350, but for the difference it would make, its probably not worth it over your FX 6300 (though you could try overclocking your 6300 if your motherboard supports it). I would say your biggest upgrades that you could make without replacing the motherboard, cpu, and RAM, would be to upgrade to an SSD if the system didn't come with one, and upgrading the graphics card to an RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB. You could also move both of those components to a new build whenever you do decide to upgrade everything else.

artk2219

Distinguished

Lol, not on purpose, and I realized it after I posted it as well, but I figured "I spent a good 5 - 10 minutes on this, it deserves to live" :D.