Question PC Newbie, Need help finding the best CPU for my PC

Oct 13, 2022
My PC is kind of old, at least 5 years. I want to see if I can upgrade this before I even consider replacing it. I currently have an Intel Core i7-6700 processor and want to know if anyone has any recommendations for a new CPU? and if possible, suggestions for thermal paste? I don't have a money limit, I'd prefer something on the cheaper side, but I also want to invest in some solid replacement parts, so nothing is off the table.

Can you spend at least, say, 300 or 400 dollars?

Do you have an absolute max you will spend?

Is your current PC home-built, or a pre-built like HP or Dell or Lenovo?

The 6700 is a good horse, but you can't upgrade it very much without getting a new motherboard as well.

Maybe just those 2 pieces...CPU and motherboard. Depending on your budget.

Ultimately depends on how much of an upgrade you want....10 percent faster; 30 percent, etc.

What are the primary 2 or 3 purposes of the PC?

Thermal paste choices have minimal differences. I wouldn't get excited over it. Any of several common ones are fine.

Oct 13, 2022
Can you spend at least, say, 300 or 400 dollars?

Do you have an absolute max you will spend?

Is your current PC home-built, or a pre-built like HP or Dell or Lenovo?

The 6700 is a good horse, but you can't upgrade it very much without getting a new motherboard as well.

Maybe just those 2 pieces...CPU and motherboard. Depending on your budget.

Ultimately depends on how much of an upgrade you want....10 percent faster; 30 percent, etc.

What are the primary 2 or 3 purposes of the PC?

Thermal paste choices have minimal differences. I wouldn't get excited over it. Any of several common ones are fine.

I don't have a max limit, I get paid pretty well currently, so I'm looking for anything that would be best for my build.
My PC was home built by my old roommate.
I'd be fine upgrading the mother board as well, but I was told by a couple of my computer nerd friends that if it does come to that, I might as well buy a new PC. I don't know if that's true or not, most of the stuff I know comes from them and some vague research I've done myself.
I mainly use my PC to play games like Slay the Spire, not something you really need super good parts for, but occasionally I'll play games like Skyrim or Apex that lag a bit when booted up.
I've also been using it for some at home work, nothing that's really affected the performance of my PC.

I'd be fine upgrading the mother board as well, but I was told by a couple of my computer nerd friends that if it does come to that, I might as well buy a new PC. I don't know if that's true or not,

Of course, you can buy a new PC any time you want. Walk into Best Buy or Costco or go online to Dell or wherever.

You can also re-build what you have now. I assumed that's what you want to do..........am I wrong???

If you want to re-build, you could buy all new parts or just some new parts.

It all depends on EXACTLY what parts you have now.

So...do you want to rebuild or buy a whole new PC and not build anything.

That is your first decision.

If you want to re-build, list ALL parts in your current PC...brand, model number, etc.....case, motherboard, CPU, drives, RAM, cooler, case fans, video card, power supply. So we know where you stand right now.

If you want to buy a pre-built instead, say so and maybe we can steer you right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have a max limit, I get paid pretty well currently, so I'm looking for anything that would be best for my build.
My PC was home built by my old roommate.
I'd be fine upgrading the mother board as well, but I was told by a couple of my computer nerd friends that if it does come to that, I might as well buy a new PC. I don't know if that's true or not, most of the stuff I know comes from them and some vague research I've done myself.
I mainly use my PC to play games like Slay the Spire, not something you really need super good parts for, but occasionally I'll play games like Skyrim or Apex that lag a bit when booted up.
I've also been using it for some at home work, nothing that's really affected the performance of my PC.
Run this and post a link so we can see what you have to work with.

Could be as easy as new board and processor.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
1. If you decide to move to a high(er) end/new(ish) mobo & cpu, you should also research power requirements to see if you will also need a new psu to, especially if you will be adding a new GPU now or later on.

But once we know what you have now, then we can make suggestions from there to guide you in the right direction :)

2. Please, please, please,,,,,, NEVA, EVA buy anything pc-related from a Bustbuy or Costcrow store in person.... if you must get something from them because they have the best prices you can find, do it online... trust me, you don't EVA wanna subject yourself to that <Mod Edit>....unless you just enjoy a bunch of sadist-level pain & suffering :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2022
Of course, you can buy a new PC any time you want. Walk into Best Buy or Costco or go online to Dell or wherever.

You can also re-build what you have now. I assumed that's what you want to do..........am I wrong???

If you want to re-build, list ALL parts in your current PC...brand, model number, etc.....case, motherboard, CPU, drives, RAM, cooler, case fans, video card, power supply. So we know where you stand right now.

If you want to buy a pre-built instead, say so and maybe we can steer you right.
These are all of the stats that I pulled from UserBenchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 57%, Desk 73%, Work 49%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 - 69.1%
GPU: Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake) - 2.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 79.4%
SSD: Adata Premier SP550 120GB - 67.8%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 87.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 110.4%
RAM: Adata DDR4 3000 2x8GB - 58.8%
MBD: Asus H170-PRO

Does any of this help?

Oct 13, 2022

Sorry I also meant to add, I'd like to rebuild if I can. I guess it depends on what would be cheapest in terms of parts and labor.

What is the make/model of your psu?
Software will not tell you that.
Neither will software tell the make/model of your case.

If you play fast action games or if you want to use a high res monitor then a stronger GPU is in order.
As a quick test,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
If a gpu upgrade is in order, here is a handy chart as to the psu wattage required.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

For games, the single thread performance of your cpu is all important.
Run the cpu-z bench on your I7-6700.
You should get a number like 397:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/0gt9vb/1

As a good reasonable upgrade, I might buy a I5-12400 with a rating of 702. About $200.
You will want a B660 based motherboard which will sell for $100-$150.
You can reuse your ddr4 ram.
On the 12400, I would not go $20 cheaper with the 12400F that does not include integrated graphics.
Over time you may find integrated graphics useful if you have gpu problems.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-review
I5-12400 comes with a cpu cooler, but many will upgrade the cooler.
Aftermarket coolers will come with reasonable paste.
Differences in paste are minimal to the casual user.

120gb is too small for a C drive.
As it nears 90% full, it will lose performance and endurance.
Today, I would buy a 1tb 2.5"samsung 970 evo to replace it.
About $90.
There are cheaper ssd devices, but none as good.
You will not notice any difference from a m.2 pcie ssd.
Use the samsung ssd migration app to do the job.
App and manual here:
Then, just boot from the 970 on your new motherboard and install the chipset and motherboard drivers.
Many will recommend a clean install. They have a point, but it is YOU that will be doing the work.
I have found that such a simple upgrade with intel processors works well and would try that first.

These are all of the stats that I pulled from UserBenchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 57%, Desk 73%, Work 49%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 - 69.1%
GPU: Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake) - 2.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 79.4%
SSD: Adata Premier SP550 120GB - 67.8%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 87.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 110.4%
RAM: Adata DDR4 3000 2x8GB - 58.8%
MBD: Asus H170-PRO

Does any of this help?
Don't pull the stats just post a LINK to the results page.