Question PC newly built running into small problem with slow boot-up (pls read post for details)

Mar 21, 2021
Hello,

Me and my husband have built a few computers. So we do have some experience with computers, and computer components. Will try to describe the problem in shortest (and most detailed) as possible.

System specs:

Intel i9 10850KF
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z490
Samsung 970 evo
Corsair 32 gig ram
Seasonic 750w Prime Platinum
Zotac 1070 6GB (until new graphics cards are reasonably priced)

Two monitors:

Lenovo Legion Y27gp-20 (27 inch 1440p 240hz)
LG 4k 27 inch (60hz)

- Computer has worked fine with integrated graphics with both monitors. Boots up normal, shows bios etc. and works normal. Used for approximately 1.5 months without graphics card, no issues.

- Installed Zotac 1070 card, also hooked up both monitors (shown above). No signal to either monitor, a few seconds later... reaches windows 10 login screen (skips bios with no signal message on both screens). When I reach the login screen only the Lenovo is detected and has a signal. LG monitor refuses to receive signal. Both monitors are connected via display port on the video card (not motherboard).

-Zotac 1070 card was used in previous computer (windows 7) with zero issues. Zotac 1070 card performs fine with new computer, frame rates are as expected in all games.

- After further problem solving, LG monitor will not receive signal from Zotac card (all black no signal, cannot enter into Windows 10 or bios on this monitor). Although, the LG monitor will receive signal from integrated graphics (when plugged into the motherboard) and will enter into bios and Windows 10. No problems when plugged into motherboard directely, and Lenovo monitor is left unplugged from graphics card.

- Further problem solving, enter into bios with LG monitor using integrated graphics. Bios shows motherboard is set to "auto" for detecting graphics, and is prioritizing PCIE 1 for graphics and NOT integrated graphics. I thought about disabling integrated graphics altogether, but motherboard should auto detect video card on boot-up and not attempt to use integrated graphics. Although, it would appear the motherboard is attempted to use integrated graphics first...or something else is happening with windows 10 or the graphics card.

- I have tried to connect the LG monitor by itself in all the different ports on the graphics card, it still refuses to receive a signal. The LG monitor worked fine with the graphics card on my old system (with Windows 7).

(update: still unable to reach bios with either monitor when connected via display port on graphics card, no signal for a few seconds until Window 10 screen is reached. Then Lenovo monitor is the only monitor which receives a signal via display port on graphics card).

Any help would be appreciated! I am thinking the problem is not going to be too difficult to solve for someone who has encountered a similar issue!

Kind regards,

Joy

Last edited:
Seems to me that you should be able to tell the bios to use the discrete card for bios and to disable the integrated adapter. Or, at least if you can use two adapters at the same time, indicate which one is primary for bios.
Possibly, there is a motherboard bios update that addresses your issue.

If the bios default is integrated, it may take some time for the motherboard to determine that it must switch to discrete.
The first adapter on the 1070 is the one that will get the bios display.

No clue on why the LG does not connect.
Perhaps you could run with the LG using integrated and the Lenovo using 1070.
If you bought the 1070 used, it might have been sold because of the type of issue you are seeing.
I might see about returning it.

Mar 21, 2021
Seems to me that you should be able to tell the bios to use the discrete card for bios and to disable the integrated adapter. Or, at least if you can use two adapters at the same time, indicate which one is primary for bios.
Possibly, there is a motherboard bios update that addresses your issue.

If the bios default is integrated, it may take some time for the motherboard to determine that it must switch to discrete.
The first adapter on the 1070 is the one that will get the bios display.

No clue on why the LG does not connect.
Perhaps you could run with the LG using integrated and the Lenovo using 1070.
If you bought the 1070 used, it might have been sold because of the type of issue you are seeing.
I might see about returning it.

Thank you for the advice. I am thinking about disabling integrated graphics. The 1070 card was used in my previous system for the last 3 years, and worked fine with the LG and Lenovo monitor as a dual monitor set up (with Windows 7). That is why I think this could still be a Windows 10 issue (as the main issue or another issue altogether).

EDIT: I tried connecting the LG monitor to the integrated graphics with the HDMI in the motherboard, and plugged the Lenovo in the video card. Instead of the LG working, the Lenovo still worked only after a few seconds of black screen... and finally the Windows 10 sign-in screen. So even though the LG will work when plugged into the motherboard, it will not work when plugged into the motherboard when the Lenovo is plugged into the video card. Still thinking this could be a Windows 10 thing, graphic drivers, or possibly motherboard issue.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021
You might have to enable a setting in the bios for using both motherboard and gpu outputs.

No way to test with a different dedicated gpu?

Oh and as mentioned, have the latest bios? ( F20d from 2021-03-12)

Thanks for the advice Vic. We do have another 1070 Zotac in another system, and a 2070 gigabyte in another system. So we could try that. We did check the motherboard manual and we didn't find anything in the motherboard settings that would enable both GPU and integrated graphics besides just the regular "auto" detect setting for both GPU and integrated graphics. Also, the motherboard is set to detect PCIE 1 slot first.

Going to attempt to disable integrated graphics, but haven't done so because of being busy and we are not sure that is going to fix this issue. Obviously the motherboard should auto detect GPU on start up. Although, it does seem the motherboard is auto detecting integrated graphics first. And yes, bios is updated, that was one of the first things we tried.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
we didn't find anything in the motherboard settings that would enable both GPU and integrated graphics

oqGgB6R.png

what if you set the "Internal Graphics" to enabled and still have the primary pcie (pcie1) slot as default? Maybe that way both can be used.

Would test with another gpu if you haven't already.

Mar 21, 2021
You might have to enable a setting in the bios for using both motherboard and gpu outputs.

No way to test with a different dedicated gpu?

Oh and as mentioned, have the latest bios? ( F20d from 2021-03-12)

I ended up enabling IGPU as first read by motherboard and not PCIE, and also instead of auto for graphics I set it to IGPU. This allowed me to use my IGPU for my LG monitor, and the dedicated graphics for my Lenevo. This is a decent solution for now. But, it was weird how my LG monitor would not receive a signal from my dedicated graphics card.

Thanks for the response and the help! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Vic 40