Question PC no beep, no Post, no monitor !

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hi,
I worked many years taking care of PCs !
I have never experienced such a problem !
The motherboard is P6x58D-E, RAM 18 GB.

This morning at home the PC turned on but nothing was written on screen, no beep but fans are working.
I "cold started" the PC, no better. After a few seconds PC stops then restarts ... doing nothing more.
No disk activity on front LED

I remove all external cables, opened the case...
Power LED is On.
Checked cables : power, to graphic card, to motherboard, etc ...
I tried a few boots :
  • I removed the graphic card and another serial card present ... > still no beep.
  • I removed all DRAM ...> no beep too !
  • I installed 2 DRAMs (twice and not the same ones in different slots) ... > still no beep, nothing new
DRAM light always on. Short Press RAM Ok switch -> PC reboots, DRAM light always On, no beep, nothing new. Long press(?) did nothing special.
- removed all disk cables from the 6 SATA ports ... > still no beep, nothing new

It looks that this rather old board does not have Q-LED technology. I don't see what else I can test easily enough as my home is not a shop and I am under Covid restrictions !!

Any idea, hint or advice will be greatly appreciated !!
BR
Sylvain

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That's a pretty dated system. Might want to list it's specs for us. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

How do you have an 18GB loadout? How old is the PSU?

Aug 22, 2020
Try pulling the hard drive out and putting your ear next to the disk when it starts up. Check your sata and power connections. Also listen to make sure the drive spins up properly and that the hard drive write arm is writing/removing data correctly. This sounds like a hard drive issue.

Try grabbing a spare drive and installing a unactivated copy of windows 10 onto it and see if it posts. Also try checking the 20+4 motherboard power connector.

Another thing you can try is to simply use another power supply. Or try the hard drive/SSD in another computer to make sure it didnt die out on ya.

Best of luck trying to fix the issue. Thanks for reading.

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hi and thanks !
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz socket LGA1366
Motherboard: P6x58D-E
Ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 (3x) + Corsair 2GB DDR3 (3x)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB boot / Data disks 5TB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1024 Mo)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W 5-10 years old
Case: Cooler Master Tower

BR

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Also does your motherboard have a LCD screen? look for a post code if it does or if it has a motherboard speaker listen for a post beep.
Hi,
Unfortunately the motherboard is from a generation before the LCD screen or Q-LEDs ...
Also there is no post whatsoever even if all memory is taken out (it should scream).
It looks that bios is not even reached !
BR

Aug 22, 2020
Hi,
Unfortunately the motherboard is from a generation before the LCD screen or Q-LEDs ...
Also there is no post whatsoever even if all memory is taken out (it should scream).
It looks that bios is not even reached !
BR
Ok well memory is required to boot the system. Also if you have 4 ram slots use slots 1 and 3 and skip the 2nd socket.

As most motherboards are programmed to use sockets 1 and 3 when theres only 2 sticks inserted.

This does not apply if you only have 2 ram slots.

Also. There is a cmos battery on the motherboard its like a little coin cell watch bettery.

Try to get the model number off of it and replace the battery as it might be dying/dead.

Usually when it doesnt boot into bios its a dead CMOS battery.

If this doesnt work i recommend either contacting your computer manufacturer or just replacing the pc because if its this bad i really dont know what else you can do at this point. Motherboards can die too. But they usually last about 15/25 years

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
[/QUOTE]
Hi and thanks !
As I said if the motherboard does not detect installed RAM it will scream ... and this does not happen. With RAM BTW nothing...
I checked the CMOS battery, full !
One of the question is : if faulty is it the CPU or motherboard. Would be nice to know somehow !
BR

Aug 22, 2020
Hi and thanks !
As I said if the motherboard does not detect installed RAM it will scream ... and this does not happen. With RAM BTW nothing...
I checked the CMOS battery, full !
One of the question is : if faulty is it the CPU or motherboard. Would be nice to know somehow !
BR
[/QUOTE]
Try taking out the cpu and using it in another motherboard that it supports. Also try using another graphics card. As ATi 5700 is old and ATI doesnt even own Radeon anymore. AMD does

If none of this works. Its time to get a new pc.

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hi all,
Thanks for your help !
Facing this rare and hard problem I went to a very small PC shop which was able to do more testing that I could ...
PSU ....Ok
Graphic card .... Ok
RAM .... Ok
CPU not tested (but they said very rarely being the problem)
ASUS P6X58D-E MoBo... no USB, mouse output then diagnostic most probably MoBo dead.

As I have in this PC 18GB DDR3 1600 RAM (3x 4 + 3x 2), I7 950 CPU, HAF932 Cooler Master Tower all of this being rather expensive for me I am now looking for a compatible MoBo.
As this is a rather difficult quest any reference name (even second hand but not too old if no new MoBo available) would be very much appreciated !
Thanks !

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hi all,

I used a site : pcpartpicker dot com to try to find a replacement MoBo. Was rather straightforwards !
According to my specs (CPU, RAM, Case, GPU) and Ebay China prices I just bought a used Asus P6T ATX LGA1366 Motherboard for 120$ (fast 15d shipping included).
I hope it is a good choice ... Will tell asap !

sweiller

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hi all,
There was evidences the MoB was faulty especially -said the technician - no power on USB outputs !
I ordered what I could find for cheap as close as possible and found an Ebay vendor selling second hand P6T MoBs. I made it come quickly.
With this MoB the PC recovered functionalities.
The P6T lacks USB3 ports. I added a USB3 card I had. I probably have a certain loss of USB3 speed but not too much. Everything else (PSU, CPU, CPU fan, RAM, Graphic card, Full size Tower is compatible).
Of course there was a lot of time for Windows Updates (drivers ...) but now I have about the same PC as before the big failure. Total cost was around 300$ including fast shipping and assembly of the computer in the shop.
Thanks to all who helped me in this forum !

Last edited:

dch0001

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Hi,
I worked many years taking care of PCs !
I have never experienced such a problem !
The motherboard is P6x58D-E, RAM 18 GB.

This morning at home the PC turned on but nothing was written on screen, no beep but fans are working.
I "cold started" the PC, no better. After a few seconds PC stops then restarts ... doing nothing more.
No disk activity on front LED

I remove all external cables, opened the case...
Power LED is On.
Checked cables : power, to graphic card, to motherboard, etc ...
I tried a few boots :
  • I removed the graphic card and another serial card present ... > still no beep.
  • I removed all DRAM ...> no beep too !
  • I installed 2 DRAMs (twice and not the same ones in different slots) ... > still no beep, nothing new
DRAM light always on. Short Press RAM Ok switch -> PC reboots, DRAM light always On, no beep, nothing new. Long press(?) did nothing special.
- removed all disk cables from the 6 SATA ports ... > still no beep, nothing new

It looks that this rather old board does not have Q-LED technology. I don't see what else I can test easily enough as my home is not a shop and I am under Covid restrictions !!

Any idea, hint or advice will be greatly appreciated !!
BR
Sylva
Hi.
If you hear a low beeez noise from PSU when you turn on the pc, southbridge is gone and MB is bricked.
Otherwise.
Switch off PSU. Unplug power cord from PSU.
Remove all usb cables or usb devices. Remove the usb cable that feeds usb ports front of case from MB.
Remove all cables from PSU that are connected to PSU inside case.
Remove all DRAMs.
Remove VGA Card. Unplug 6pin power socket from VGA Card.
Check cmos battery for charge .
While a working cmos battery in place, put the cmos clear jumper to the next two pins. Connect power to PSU and switch it on. BUT DO NOT TURN ON PC. Wait 10 seconds. Switch off PSU and replace the jumper to where it was earlier.
Now put the VGA Card back in place but do not plug the 6 pin power socket.
switch on PSU and turn on pc.
If pc turns off immidiately after turning on and again turns on and turns off immidiately, do the jumper process again.
(If no post, use a working PSU.
If no post with a working PSU, MB is Faulty.)
If it posts and shows the message "connect the power to VGA", switch off PSU and plug 6pin socket to VGA Card and PSU. Turn on pc. get into bios settings, load default settings and set power saving mode.
Turn off.
Put DRAM sticks back in place one by one. At every step turn on pc and check in bios if it recognizes Ram.
And finally connect the other feeding cables to PSU. At any step if No post, just do the Jumper thing and set to power saving mode.
Anyway The PSU is weak or dying