Question pc no longer boots up after hibernation mode

Mar 4, 2019
I've been doing quite a bit of research to see if anyone else has had my problem, but to no avail, I couldn't find any information.
I turned on my computer yesterday morning, and then went to make myself some coffee. I came back 20 minutes later, and my computer was in hibernation mode, as it was just sitting at the log in screen with no recent action. I didn't think much of this and pressed a few keys to turn it back on, but it wouldn't turn back on. I waited a couple minutes, and still nothing. So I turn off my computer with the power button and waited around 30 seconds before turning it back on, however, it no longer boots up. Upon listening to my cpu fan, it sounds as though it is working normally, only every 3 seconds the fan slows down slightly twice before going back to normal. Almost like the fan stops for half a second. I have never heard this sound from my cpu fan before, so I opened up the pc to see what was going on. At first, I thought maybe the psu was the problem, so I changed it out, and nothing. I also took out the CMOS battery and reseated everything possible on the motherboard, making sure everything went back the same, still nothing. I have found that by unplugging the power to the graphics card, the cpu fan 'surging' stops, but I still get no display on boot up. (yes, my monitor does work,too.)

If anybody has any ideas, I'm open to anything. This tower is 7 years old, and has seen a lot. I'm not exactly surprised it's not starting up anymore.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor
Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M
Ram: 8GB System Memory (DDR3)
SSD/HDD: 1TB SATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
GPU: ATI 5450 with 1GB GDDR3 RAM
PSU: Delta Electronics 400W
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you tried using different SATA data and power cables for the boot drive? If you've replaced the PSU, please include both the old and the new unit's make and model.

Mar 4, 2019
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor
Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M
Ram: 8GB System Memory (DDR3)
SSD/HDD: 1TB SATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
GPU: ATI 5450 with 1GB GDDR3 RAM
PSU: Delta Electronics 400W
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Sorry about that. I actually just tried switching the SATA cables from my disk drive to my hard drive, but nothing has changed. The PSU I was using before I switched to the 400W is a OCZ ModxstreamPro 600W. I have also just tried using a different power cable for the boot drive.

Last edited:
A new $3 BIOS battery might be worth a hail-Mary attempt? (you can try Clear-CMOS jumper or switch, as applicable to your mainboard, with power removed?)

As you've lost video, does your MB and CPU have/support integrated graphics? (If so , you could try removing the GPU entirely, but, I'm not sure your CPU and/or MB support it; do you have a spare basic GPU in the GT710 class, just in case you must have a GPU installed?)

Mar 4, 2019
A new $3 BIOS battery might be worth a hail-Mary attempt? (you can try Clear-CMOS jumper or switch, as applicable to your mainboard, with power removed?)

Thanks for the reply. I'll buy a new BIOS battery. I believe I have tried clearing the CMOS jumper, but I'll try again. edit still nothing

As you've lost video, does your MB and CPU have/support integrated graphics? (If so , you could try removing the GPU entirely, but, I'm not sure your CPU and/or MB support it; do you have a spare basic GPU in the GT710 class, just in case you must have a GPU installed?)

I have actually tried booting it without the GPU, and still no display. Unfortunately, this is the only tower I own, so I don't have any spare parts.