Question PC No Longer Connecting to Router

joncollin81

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hi there,

In the last month or so my Windows 10 based Desktop PC has stopped connecting to my BT Smarthub router via WiFi despite never previously having any connectivity issues. My Windows 10 based Laptop PC has had no issues connecting, and neither have any of our mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc).

Any attempts to connect result in an Unable to Connect message. I have tried removing and re-adding the Router SSID, running the Windows Network Troubleshooter as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the WiFi driver. All to no avail.

The only way I can get the PC to connect again is to restart the Router, upon which the PC connects fine for a few days before the problem reocurrs. Since this issue doesn't affect any of my other devices I guess it's more likely to be related to my PC. I use Bitdefender Total Security as my Security product, not sure if it could be related to that but I've had it installed for a year without any issues.

Any advice / suggestions anyone has would be really appreciated!

Thanks all :)

Ralston18

Titan
On your desktop look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the disconnect times.

Are you using a USB wireless adapter? If so, feel the adapter before boot up and then keep checking (carefully) the adapter every so often as you work, game, etc. as normal. USB adapters tend to get warmer and hotter as they approach EOL (End of Life).

Generally, the failures (disconnects) are immediate upon the adapter getting hot again and not a few days later....

Who has admin rights to the router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

joncollin81

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for the tips, I will check the reliability history, event viewer and router logs as suggested.

The WiFi adapter is integrated into the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI).

joncollin81

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Okay, just checked the router logs which show no sign of my PC even attempting to connect. Event Viewer on the PC suggests that no response was received from the router during the connection attempt. The WiFi chipset is Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230