Nov 17, 2019
Hi. First of all let me list my pc specs before I forget to:D

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
-G.skill ddr4 4x8gb
-asus rog strix x570 motherboard
-Asus strix 1080 oc gpu
-EVGA 750w PSU
-m.2
-noctua cpu cooler (cant remember model)

Right. So I swap my cases..wanted less noise, smaller and more compact case. I took everything out of my old case (corsair 570x) and had them lay around my room for a couple of hours while I was getting my new case (Fractal Design Define 7 Compact).

I got my new case..started to assemble it, got it all inside my new case, boot up...leds come on, fans spinning, RAM leds light up...fans STOPPED spinning, nothing comes on screen..error code 00.

Restart a few times and noticed that it doesnt get to POST (post leds next to ram slots). I google and google and google, tried everything..from the simpliest solution to the hardest. I tried all the connections, followed asus guide to flashback bios, reseted bios, took out cmos battery, reflashed again, tried to startup outside the case, checked for bent pins about 10times and with a microscope..none. Loosened cpu cooler standoffs if they were too tight, tried with another PSU (only 400w from old pc), without ram sticks and gpu, with only ram sticks, with only one stick and on every slot and the list goes on.

At some point the fans didnt turn off anymore and keeps spinning..but same issue persists. So the fans work now.

Ive struggled for 24hours now and missed my university classes today (remote school due to corona..so i really need my pc up and running by monday).

Right..so the next logical step was to solve wether my motherboard or my cpu is broken...it HAD to be one of those right ?

Called my friend to come over with his pc. He has B450 board and AMD 7 2700X(?). He doesnt have any error codes or POST status lights on board.
My CPU on hes rig..boots up, nothing comes on screen (presumably doesnt POST)
He's CPU on my rig... boots for 1second and shutsdown. So that didnt help me at all..could be either one of the components..right?

I think our cpus and boards are compatible with each other by a very quick google search.

So I got a new MSI board with x570 chip today (flipped a coin and hope it works) with intentions to return it tomorrow (can't afford to put 200euros on a motherboard right now).

At first I put the new board inside the case without mounting screws (there is the middle one from the case to keep it on spot) install rams and cpu without cooler to try really quick if it boots up at all. I see it starting to go through POST and shut it down so CPU won't overheat. I have my hopes up and fully build the rig with gpu, HDDs, SSDs, cooler and all, inside the case and mounted the MB properly. Pressed the boot button and I hear a "tick" from PSU but nothing happens. Next Im sure that my PSU is failing and try my friends PSU which is brand new 650w fractal design, he has not tried it once yet and bought it today..same thing a "tick" from PSU (i think) and nothing happens.

So what the F could be wrong now..the only thing between my pc fully working and not booting at all was the case.. now I am 100% sure that my new case has flaw and is shorting something on my MB, I take it all out and try to boot on top of MB box with the anti static plastic..doesnt boot up at all..nothing, except the "tick"..not ticking as in "tick tick tick" just a single tick.

I tried with my original MB and it still does the same..boots up but no POST.

So now I am thinking it's the CPU but I know how extremely rare it is to have an faulty CPU (it happens, just not too often), and the same CPU has worked for a year flawlessly..why would it get broken in less than 2 hours of sitting around?

Im sure its just something very stupid and small but I just cant figure it out..I even heated my board a little with a hairdryer reading from somewhere that asus has a flaw in some boards with resistors and only boots up if it is warm.

Should I RMA my cpu hoping to get a new one and struggle in my school work for weeks or do you guys have any ideas?

Thank you all in advance!

Solution
Solved!! Probably quite unique and unlucky problem but will post here anyways!

It was the mobo!

I had my friend come over again and built my rig on hes motheboard and all worked fine. So I quess I am just that unlucky that my original motherboard failed, bought a brand new one to test the problem, and it was broken out the rack.

After further inspection I noticed that the VRM module is fried, did not notice any smoke coming out but did smell something on the first boot up.

I'm going to return this new mobo that failed and will be waiting for a response from Asus if they can get me a new one quickly since i really need it for school!

Thank you @Nemesia for all the help you provided!
When you removed the parts from the old case on what did you put them? On your bed sheets? On clothing? On wood? On carpet? Was the CPU removed from the motherboard with the cooler when you switched to the new case?

Tried booting with the bare minimum? 24pin power connector, CPU power connector, GPU power connectors, 1 stick of RAM, 0 drives connected?

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
When you removed the parts from the old case on what did you put them? On your bed sheets? On clothing? On wood? On carpet? Was the CPU removed from the motherboard with the cooler when you switched to the new case?

Tried booting with the bare minimum? 24pin power connector, CPU power connector, GPU power connectors, 1 stick of RAM, 0 drives connected?
I put my motherboard on floor, laminate floor. Cooler was off since it's so large that i cant get to MB screws when it is installed, but CPU was still in MB. Before reinstalling I took CPU off to clean it with isopropanyl.

The minimun I have tried has been without any hard drives or m.2, one ram stick, without gpu, 24pin and 8pin on. I don't know if it will bootup without 8pin on top?

Your CPU does not have integrated graphics so the GPU needs to be installed or it will not show any signal. Try again with the GPU. CPU 8 pin connector, GPU, 1 stick of RAM, 24 pin power connector. That's the minimum you need installed for a system to post.

The Error Code 00 is normally a CPU/Motherboard code. I have seen a lot of that code on X99 motherboards.

Look for bent pin on the CPU.

Look for thermal paste on the CPU pin side.

Look at the socket to see if there is no thermal paste in there.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Your CPU does not have integrated graphics so the GPU needs to be installed or it will not show any signal. Try again with the GPU.

The Error Code 00 is normally a CPU/Motherboard code. I have seen a lot of that code on X99 motherboards.

Look for bent pin on the CPU.

Look for thermal paste on the CPU pin side.

Look at the socket to see if there is no thermal paste in there.

Would it not even POST without gpu? I can see the POST process on my motherboard with the led signals. But I will try.

No bent pins, there was a tiny bit thermal (non conductive) earlier but i cleaned it out.

I am new to AMD and the socket is weird but as far as i can see there is nothing abnormal in there.

Would it not even POST without gpu? I can see the POST process on my motherboard with the led signals. But I will try.

No bent pins, there was a tiny bit thermal (non conductive) earlier but i cleaned it out.

I am new to AMD and the socket is weird but as far as i can see there is nothing abnormal in there.

It will not post without GPU. Only AMD CPU's with a "G" in their name has an integrated graphics in the CPU. Like a 3400G CPU. Intel has integrated graphics in their CPU unless the CPU has a "F" in their name. Like the 10700KF which doesn't have integrated graphics in the CPU.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
It will not post without GPU. Only AMD CPU's with a "G" in their name has an integrated graphics in the CPU. Like a 3400G CPU. Intel has integrated graphics in their CPU unless the CPU has a "F" in their name. Like the 10700KF which doesn't have integrated graphics in the CPU.

Alright. Thanks, did not know that one about amds.

I tried with the bare minimum and get the same results... no post and error 00. Right now I have the cpu without the huge cooler on top..and have noticed that the cpu does NOT heat up at all when turning on.

When I tried with my friends pc it heated up normally.

I have now tried it with the original mobo..will try again now with the other mobo i got.

CPU not heating up means that it doesn't get any power. Is the CPU 8pin power connector connected properly?

Can you please install the heatsink and fan on that CPU even when you test it. Not recommended to start a PC with just the CPU without it's heatsink mounted.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
CPU not heating up means that it doesn't get any power. Is the CPU 8pin power connector connected properly?

Can you please install the heatsink and fan on that CPU even when you test it. Not recommended to start a PC with just the CPU without it's heatsink mounted.

Okay interesting. All the connectors are properly connected, cpu 8pin connector even shows red light when it is not connected.

Yes I am aware of that and will be using the cooler.

Tried with the other board..doesnt give me anything, just a "tick" but nothing boots up.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019

Probably doesnt mean anything but there are 12 pins for CPU. Manual says to plug 8pin or 8pin and 4pin. I have allways just used 8pin connector and have had no issues.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
So now..by accident... I have noticed that the new mobo will start up when the cpu 8pin is NOT connected..ofcourse then the cpu wont get any power so it doesnt exactly solve the problem...but I thought it was interesting.

I tried plugging in all 12 pins but didnt help, i tried to swap them a little but no help. Fans and gpu fans start spinning only with the 24pin connected. When I plug in the 8pin it doesnt do anything else than the "tick" from PSU.

Is it possible ghat I just bought a faulty mobo out the store?

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Solved!! Probably quite unique and unlucky problem but will post here anyways!

It was the mobo!

I had my friend come over again and built my rig on hes motheboard and all worked fine. So I quess I am just that unlucky that my original motherboard failed, bought a brand new one to test the problem, and it was broken out the rack.

After further inspection I noticed that the VRM module is fried, did not notice any smoke coming out but did smell something on the first boot up.

I'm going to return this new mobo that failed and will be waiting for a response from Asus if they can get me a new one quickly since i really need it for school!

Thank you @Nemesia for all the help you provided!

Solution