Pc noise. At my witd end :(

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Ok so I have posted on here before about my noise. I am getting a pretty bad noise coming from around my Gpu. The noise is basically this: https://youtu.be/bbJdJUYTOcw (almost identical but that isn't my video). The noise happens at any fps over 60 while gaming, randomly for no reason when gaming and anytime I have a dual monitor setup when gaming. I also notice the card gets hot very quick once the noise begins. Now someone told me it could be a crappy Psu so I changed it. Then I assumed it was the Gpu so I RMA'd it so they could try to diagnose it. Now the replacement Psu made no difference and the guys at the shop I sent the GPU back to said they heard no noise whatsoever even after running a heavy benchmark. So is it just a bad combo of psu and gpu or maybe my motherboard causing Gpu issues? I'm so stuck. I know everyone says it is coil whine but howcome when they ran a heavy benchmark at the shop it was silent but I get up to 70fps and it's louder than all fans on full? Ah. Any help and ideas would be great. Thanks.

My build is:

*Ryzen 7 1700

*Msi Tomahawk B350 Arctic

*Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming

*EVGA 650 Supernova G2 Gold+

*Ballistix LT 16GB

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
You can use RivaTuner, which is packaged with MSI Afterburner, to set a hard FPS cap. This will prevent the coil whine you are describing.

vVLwNnL.png

EDIT: Check your Nvidia software as well, you may be able to do it in there.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Normally this occurs at ridiculously high framerates which can occur sometimes (FPS runaway). I recommend trying to set an FPS cap at the refresh rate of your monitor and see how it does.

Coil whine is not always bad or signs of damage but highly annoying, I am putting Coil whine also to things called defects.
Graphic cards and PSUs are quite often to have this issue.
Not all cards and PSU have coil whine despite of having even the same gpu type or same PSU model number.
I would simply return that GTX1080 and/or PSU, if they are still in warranty.

I would open the case and hear carefully where the coil whine is coming from, GPU or PSU.

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Guys this has been happening at anything above 60fps and sometimes at 60fps. I have also already sent the card for testing and they guys said they heard no noise/coil whine. Could it be my motherboard? Or just a bad combo/psu and gpu combo?

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
So having almost eliminated it actually being a GPU fault, would you suggest buying a different PSU? I've replaced the PSU once so I'm certain it isn't faulty itself but just that PSU and GPU are a bad combo. Or would you try a new motherboard first?

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Well I did send it to them and they said they ran a heavy benchmark and did other tests and didn't hear a single sound. And if their policy is that they won't replace it unless it's broken, what can I do?

The "did not" hear a single sound and do not want to replace it.

Assuming they are honest:
- Coil whine frequency is quite high, if the guy checking it is quite old, it is very possible that this guy really did not hear anything. Older people can not hear such high frequency anymore.
- The cause could be in your home e.g. UPS, etc.

or...they are simply being dishonest and simply trying to reject RMAs...this happens also quite a lot.

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Thing is that it isn't a very high noise and if I get it at 70fps and they ran a benchmark on it then I really doubt they didn't hear it. If they are rejecting it and being dishonest then where do I stand? Part of me thinks it may be another PC part causing the GPU to make noise. I doubt I can but if I can put it in another PC then surely that will prove if it is the actual GPU itself?

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
But I basically did say that and their thing was that if it isn't broke then they won't replace it. And the manufacturer won't look at it in the first year of it's warranty. The main thing is that the seller was a reputable seller so I don't think they would be lying. Hence me saying that I believe something is causing the gpu to make the noise. Everyone always kind of just says "its coil whine, replace it or live with it" I'm just wondering if there are certain issues (voltage issues, power settings somewhere etc) that may cause it.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

IF it is in fact coil whine from the GPU then there likely isn't a whole lot you can do. My card only does it at outrageous FPS, which makes it easy to deal with.

Have you tried enabling V-sync? (sorry if already suggested) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXAuIJchps

Changing out your PSU might also help, no guarantees.

Nemoh88

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
As mentioned above, it happens at relatively low fps (60-80). And Vsync is enabled. Vsync does help but it still makes the sound whenever I have another monitor in or play certain high detailed games.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I don't know man, I see you already changed the PSU as well. Unfortunately, there might not be a whole lot more you can do about it, that I know of.

TRENDING THREADS