PC not booting after bsod. (only crashing with 2 RAM sticks, not when only 1 is installed(no matter which slot or stick))

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
After a blue screen (unable to read the error message; disappeared too quickly), I wasn't able to boot my pc anymore (fans spinning up, lights working, but nothing on screen).

And because the most common reason a pc doesn't want to boot anymore is failing RAM, I tried to reseat the Sticks. After fiddling with the sticks for a while, it turned out they both worked fine, until we use them together.

We also tried resetting the CMOS, did not have any effect.

I was able to read the start of the blue screen though: "the file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

Anybody able to help here?

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
AMD Athlon II x2 255
2x Kingston value ram sticks (2gb each, clocked 1333mhz
Asus M4A78LT-M LE motherboard
Gigabyte AMD HD 5670 Video

Update:
So far we found out that the problem is in the RAM, when one module is installed (no matter which slot or stick) it's fine. But when both sticks are installed the system crashes. We found the same results in MemTest, it only gives errors when both sticks are installed (pass 1(18%), test 7(52%))(a infinitely increasing number)..

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Okay, fiddled with it a bit more; This time I got some different blue screens: Bad_Pool_Error and System_service_exception

I'm unable to upload the minidumps due to either the pc not booting up or crashing very quickly.

Hold / tap F8 down after you reboot. Get to the menu where safe mode is disable auto-restart. Then you'll see what its saying

Will it boot into safe mode / networking?

Since its an ASUS mobo press F8 to bring up the boot menu select the hdd, then hold / tap F8 again to get the menu

Try 1 stick at a time in each slot. If it boots with one of them the other is probably faulty

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Okay, upon rebooting after getting into safe mode, I instantly got another bsod, this time MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x000001A

When I have 1 stick installed (doesn't matter which one) I don't get any blue screens, nor does it crash. But when I have both sticks installed I get all these problems

Maybe the slot then. How many slots are there? 2?

I would test the memory with memtest overnight sometime

That error in the topic may mean a failing hdd

Did you install any hardware recently??

I would also try if youve got any replace the hdd cable.

And umm faulty ram can also bring up that message. So, I would say either one of those slots are faulty or one of the sticks are

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Checked the both slots, that's not the problem.

No, no recent hardware installed...
Just checked if I had another hdd cable, can't find one (sadly)

I'll run Memtest, let's see if that gives us an answer.

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Ran Memtest, it got stuck at 18% pass and 52%test (test #7) with an infinitely increasing number (got passed 1500000). I'm now trying each Ram module on it's own (and each slot at it's own).

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Okay, basically, using memtest, I get the same conclusion as before: I only get errors when using both modules at the same time, when both are in place, they pass the pass (? weird sentence) fine. But with only a single module in place, there are no errors.

This sounds very odd to me...

Have you tried 2 sticks in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?? I see youre right a lot of people have been having ram issues with this mobo

Is AMD cool n quiet on this?? If it is uninstall it. Or disable it. Then see if it crashes

I have a feeling this maybe the culprit just reading on one site if this is enabled you can only use 1 stick, when it's on

And cool n quiet can also lock up a system

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Not possible, only 2 RAM slots, seems to fix a lot of problems with other motherboards.
And nope, it's not installed...

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

Just went through all Bios menu's, did not find anything related to AMD cool 'n quiet. I'm gonna try a bios update now, maybe it's a fix. Though I doubt that because I've been using this pc for about 3 years now without problems.

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Yep, just updated bios. The only thing it did was slowing down the time between start-up and blue screen.

Edit: Blue screen was Memory_Management (error 0x0000001A)

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Well, as soon as I released the "Set" button to disable the page file, the system crashed with a bsod of death (Page_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA(0x00000050)).

Update:
So I thought I'd try again in Safe Mode, at first it seemed to work. But when the system restarted it crashed with a Blue screen; this time (System_Service_Exception(0x0000003B)). Also I noticed that the "Dumping physical Memory" did not go up all the way to 100, but instead stopped at 95.

AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz. That is what the specifications read.

Athlon II x2 255 with two 1333MHz is not a supported configuration. You might try lowering the clock speed in BIOS.

Memory Clock Mode [Auto]
Sets the memory clock mode. Configuration options: [Auto] [Manual]

The following item only appears when you set Memory Clock Mode to [Manual].

Memclock Value [533MHz] <- Set value to 533MHz
Selects the DRAM frequency programming method.
Configuration options: [400MHz] [533MHz] [667MHz] [800MHz]

Vemond

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014

This is the Athlon II x2 255, which does support 1333mhz (unlike the 250, which only supports up to 1060)
But I'll give it a try