[SOLVED] PC not booting after changing CPU cooler ?

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Hello, I recently changed my intel stock cooler to arctic freezer 34. When I was done I put mobo back and connected all the cables back and when I tried to boot it up nothing happened. There was only a green light on the mobo next to the 24pin power cable ?

specs:

R9 290
i5 2320
Intel DQ67SW mobo
8gb ram
400w chieftec psu
120gb kingston ssd

Solution
Have you connected the case PWR button to the correct pair of pins on the motherboard front panel header?
Orient the header using the open pin spot.

Try to start the pc by momentarily shorting the two pins with a flat bladed screwdriver.

If nothing seems to work, take the motherboard and other parts out of the case and try to start up.
You may have a case short somewhere.
Were all of the power cables fully re inserted?
Including the 4 pin eps cable?

Did you remove the processor from the socket?
If you did, perhaps the socket was damaged by reinsertion.

What does the motherboard manual say about what the green light means?

Can you get into the bios, or is windows not booting?

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Were all of the power cables fully re inserted?
Including the 4 pin eps cable?

Did you remove the processor from the socket?
If you did, perhaps the socket was damaged by reinsertion.

What does the motherboard manual say about what the green light means?

Can you get into the bios, or is windows not booting?
I didn't take the cpu out and I can't get into bios. Even the fans won't spin. Green light means that power is being supplied to the mobo and I'm not sure that I have fully reinserted them because it's my first time changing it.

There should be a small 4 pin white motherboard psu connector that is hidden under the cooler fan.
Is that correctly inserted?

Likely the 24 pin connector is ok.
Check that all of the individual cables are pushed down into the 24 pin connector.
That cable is usually difficult to remove.
If you grabbed the cable and not the plastic, you may have dislodged one of them.

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
There should be a small 4 pin white motherboard psu connector that is hidden under the cooler fan.
Is that correctly inserted?

Likely the 24 pin connector is ok.
Check that all of the individual cables are pushed down into the 24 pin connector.
That cable is usually difficult to remove.
If you grabbed the cable and not the plastic, you may have dislodged one of them.
I've put a cable called P 2 in there and it's inserted

Have you connected the case PWR button to the correct pair of pins on the motherboard front panel header?

Try to start the pc by momentarily shorting the two pins with a flat bladed screwdriver.

If nothing seems to work, take the motherboard and other parts out of the case and try to start up.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020

And you were right thank you. The power sw cable was in the wrong color pins