[SOLVED] PC not booting after graphics card change

Aug 11, 2021
Last year I bought a new PC and then I had the idea that I would sell my old MSI GTX 970 4GB graphics card yesterday. I wanted to plug it in to my new PC to make sure everything was working before I put it up for sale, but when I changed the two graphic cards nothing happened. It seems like there wasn't any power to turn the PC on. It wouldn't even boot to a black screen. If I plug the power in and out of the wall and try to turn it on again the fans on the CPU and the GPU spin half a round every few try and then shuts off again. There is no response at all after this. I've checked every cable and nothing seems to be lose or anything like it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? The graphic card was working when I bought my new PC and has been sitting in my old PC ever since. I have a feeling my PCU is not compatible with the GTX 970. The PCU has both 8 pin and 6 pin cable as required for the GTX 970 but it seems like the 8 pin cable is an extension of the 6 pin one - I don't know if this means anything?

Here's my current setup summed up:
  • PCU: EVGA 600W BR 80+ BRONZE PLUS
  • Graphics card: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
  • RAM: G.Skill AEGIS 16GB
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME A320M-K

Aug 11, 2021
I couldn't find the old fashioned cmos reset pins but I googled and it seemed the cmos reset is done on my motherboard by pulling out the small battery that's in it. I did that and nothing helped. Thank you for the quick response

TRENDING THREADS