Question PC not booting after installing Graphics Card

Jan 29, 2023
I built a PC a few months ago and just ran it on integrated graphics for a while. I decided recently to add a graphics card to it, but after adding it the PC would refuse to boot. I tried taking the GPU out and running the PC as it was before and now it won't boot how it was booting before. When I click the power switch the motherboard RGB comes on but none of the fans RGB comes on and they don't spin. The monitor stays black screened. Any help would be very much appreciated. Here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000
SSD: 1 TB Samsung 980 NVME SSD
GPU(the one I just tried adding): Asrock OC Formula Radeon Rx 6950xt
PSU: Rosewill Hive 850w
CPU cooler: Corsair H115i
Case: Corsair 4000x RGB

I built a PC a few months ago and just ran it on integrated graphics for a while. I decided recently to add a graphics card to it, but after adding it the PC would refuse to boot. I tried taking the GPU out and running the PC as it was before and now it won't boot how it was booting before. When I click the power switch the motherboard RGB comes on but none of the fans RGB comes on and they don't spin. The monitor stays black screened. Any help would be very much appreciated. Here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000
SSD: 1 TB Samsung 980 NVME SSD
GPU(the one I just tried adding): Asrock OC Formula Radeon Rx 6950xt
PSU: Rosewill Hive 850w
CPU cooler: Corsair H115i
Case: Corsair 4000x RGB

Hey there,

Your PSU is not very good, average. I'd start there. How old is it?

I suggest resetting the UEFI settings first and see if it boots up from there. Your board may have a jumper to short or button to do this. Though you can also do this by disconnecting the computer from power, popping out the coin cell battery, and waiting a minute.

Video cards don't draw maximum power on boot, since they first have to negotiate with the PCIe controller they're a high power device and make sure that the power cables are plugged in. So I don't think it would do something like draw so much power to damage the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS