Question PC not booting after installing new ram

Aug 22, 2019
Hello everyone.

There's an old spare setup at my house with the following specs
CPU- Intel i5 2320
MoBo- P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 (2 Slots)
RAM- 4GB DDR3 (1333Mhz)

Thought I'd buy a new ram for this setup as i felt it was kinda slow while multi-tasking. So i bought a new RAM Stick, a Transcend 8GB DDR3 at the same speed 1333Mhz, despite knowing that my MoBo can support upto 16GB. I chose to buy 8GB because I didn't want to spend too much money on this setup. After I bought the RAM, removed the old stick and inserted the new one in the slot. My PC just doesn't boot at all. Then again I inserted my 4GB stick into both the slots, and the PC boots up just fine. It's just this 8GB stick, doesn't work on either of the 2 slots.

I researched a lot online, read a lot of articles like reset the CMOS using both the jumper and removed the battery and reinserted it, but didn't work. Then I looked upto updating the BIOS, the last update released for my MoBo was back in 2014, which I already have. Is there anything else left to do? Or do I have only one option to return the RAM and stick with the old one?

Thank you.

Aug 22, 2019
Here here’s what you do, you retire the old stick and you buy a proper kit of two sticks of 8 GB each and make sure that they are in one kit together

Also try this, take the old ram out and just install the new stick and see if it works. If it does it just means you need a matched set of ram like I said above

Haha I have already decided to retire my old stick. Also, I tried inserting this new RAM alone in both of the slots and the PC isn’t rebooting as I mentioned in my first post..if this new stick works I’d buy a new exact model as the one I just bought. It isn’t.

lynx1021

Distinguished
I looked on the Transend site an they said the compatible module is the 8GB ,TS1GLK64V6H not TS1GLK64V3H
Just because the ram is DDR3 and the same frequency doesn't mean it will work on your board. Always check with the manufacture to make sure it will work, less headaches that way.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019
I looked on the Transend site an they said the compatible module is the 8GB ,TS1GLK64V6H not TS1GLK64V3H
Just because the ram is DDR3 and the same frequency doesn't mean it will work on your board. Always check with the manufacture to make sure it will work, less headaches that way.

Thanks, I’ll get a refund and buy a stick compatible with my MoBo.

TRENDING THREADS