• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PC not booting after power outage

Buildoman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hello, a power outage happened last night while my computer was off and it will no longer turn on. There is a small light visible on the GPU, but no fans or other lights.

So far ive-
Cleared CMOS (removed battery)
Tried a different PSU (no success)
Reseated all cables + ram

Only semi-success I had was shorting the power pins which did turn fans on briefly, and peripherals lit up but then all turned off very quickly.

Computer is less than a year old so nothing should have worn out yet. Any idea what’s causing this?

Ferimer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello, a power outage happened last night while my computer was off and it will no longer turn on. There is a small light visible on the GPU, but no fans or other lights.

So far ive-
Cleared CMOS (removed battery)
Tried a different PSU (no success)
Reseated all cables + ram

Only semi-success I had was shorting the power pins which did turn fans on briefly, and peripherals lit up but then all turned off very quickly.

Computer is less than a year old so nothing should have worn out yet. Any idea what’s causing this?
What is your PSU that you were using and the PSU you used differently?

Buildoman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
What is your PSU that you were using and the PSU you used differently?
First one was an EVGA that has been in the system, tested it with a coolmax one I had lying around. Same results for both.

I did the paper clip trick and both seemed to be functional (fan was spinning)

ASK THE COMMUNITY