PC not booting after thermal paste application,Urgent help please!

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Hello,

Need some urgent assistance here!

I have a 1) i7 950
2) Intel Server Motherboard WX58BP
3) Radeon HD 5850 1GB
4) Corsair Dominator 6GB

I have re-applied the thermal paste on my intel stock cooler. I used Coolermaster IC value v1.

http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=6689

I used 90% isopropyl alchohol to clean the thermal compound on the CPU as well as the heat sink.

I didnt use much thermal compound on the cpu. A little bit more than the quantity shown in the youtube videos, but I'm not sure that could spread it around to the mobo..

Im doing it for the first time, I was really cautious and did the removing, installing and re-assembling very slowly and the whole process took about 2 hours. Assembled the case and all the connections and the monitor never gave any signal.

Also, one plastic locking screw of the cpu cooler was not perfectly fit. The other 3 went fine, but the last one didnt stick in,tried a lot with pushing, I thought of damaging the cpu due to pressure and left it a bit unfit in the mobo (its still fit in but like 50% of the other screws).

Also,The heat sink fan was a bit more noisy than usual when I turned on the pc..

Can anyone guide me what could be the problem? I am buying a coolermaster hyper 212 evo and just thought to experiment with the heat sink..

I'm so tired ,I really took a lot of time and care in cleaning the cpu,assembling the heat sink and everything..and it took like 3 hours to do all the things perfectly..Just f*cking pissed off after it doesnt boot at all..

Any help could be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Solution
I mean touching the pins at the bottom of the CPU ( the gold pointy stuff ) Also did you clean the surface of the cooler & cpu before you applied the new fresh paste?

And you touch your case before you touch any other part in your system , and can keep touching throughout just to be safe.

And for the light , I'm not 100% sure what is wrong but I suspect it's most likely the CPU or Mobo aswell as you did put LOADS of paste onto the surface. Take out the CPU and see if any thermal paste has gone in any gaps in the socket etc.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Did you put the CPU in the right way ? As in did you align the arrow etc? Also did you remove any static electricity from your body by using a band or touching the case? If you didn't could of short circuited the board.

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I didnt remove the CPU, I cleaned thermal compound on the CPU and heatsink and put it right back.

Hmm..I didnt do the 2nd thing you mentioned. I just cleaned the thermal grease on CPU using rubbing alcohol, did the same on the cooler, applied the cooler on the mobo, and connected all the components. Also, I didnt remove the mobo from the case, I just unplugged all the connections on mobo, removed the back cover of the case and did the process.

Crap, why didnt any thermal paste application videos/tutorials didnt give that instruction? :(

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Hmm..The plug seems fine.

I just taken off all of the components from the case and I noticed a large amount of thermal paste on my CPU, it spread like to the edge but it didnt went off onto the mobo, and the paste was not at all like spreaded..I took some pics..

9YPF3.jpg

eAfco.jpg

I cleaned my CPU to look like this..

McGd6.jpg

Now, i left it to dry a bit. Before assembling them again, should I take a look at the cpu front ports? Or any more things that I should keep in mind while assembling again? (ofcourse that I need to use VERY little thermal paste this time)

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Hmm..I assembled my PC again..Now after switching ON, I am noticing a RED LED light next to the heat sink and nothing is displayed on the monitor..

mhusS.jpg

After googling, I got the info that motherboard pins could be bent..and so I need to RMA my mobo.. Will my mobo be replaced under warranty? -

Is there any way that the cpu could have been damaged?

Man..so much trouble for just re-installing the thermal paste..Never thought these parts are this much sensitive..

Thanks for your time!

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Well to be honest even I'm rough with the parts when applying thermal paste , but I never touch the pins , I touch my case to remove any static electricity etc. RMA the board and say to them that the PC doesn't boot. You might have to lie a bit and get them to do it. Also that was TOO much thermal paste which I saw. You only need a pea size drop which will be spread by the heatsink on it's own from the pressure.

Hope I helped :)

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by touching the pins? I also didnt touch any pins, first time(when I applied large amount of thermal paste) I just applied the paste on the CPU without removing from the case, removing the cooler by clicking the push screws from the back and pulling a bit from the front(I didnt apply much pressure too, I was damn cautious)

When do I have to touch my case to remove static electricity? When I apply thermal paste on the CPU? or when cleaning the leftover on the CPU? or something else?

Yeah, the amount should be very less..I understood the hard way :(

Is there any way that there could be another cause for the mobo light? - I connected all the connections correctly, the CPU heat sink is intact, placed well and this time I applied the thermal paste in very small amount. PSU is alright, so is the GPU, so problem should be on either of CPU or Mobo right? I will post the pictures of the CPU slot so as to check if its alright.

Thanks for your time!

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I mean touching the pins at the bottom of the CPU ( the gold pointy stuff ) Also did you clean the surface of the cooler & cpu before you applied the new fresh paste?

And you touch your case before you touch any other part in your system , and can keep touching throughout just to be safe.

And for the light , I'm not 100% sure what is wrong but I suspect it's most likely the CPU or Mobo aswell as you did put LOADS of paste onto the surface. Take out the CPU and see if any thermal paste has gone in any gaps in the socket etc.

Solution

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Well, thanks for that, did learn something that could help me when I use with my hyper evo and with by likely to be new case "CM 690 II advanced"..But I really got to know the REAL reason behind this.

I before used to connect all my fans to my PSU, this time after applying the thermal paste, I connected them to my mobo. My PSU is a crap (huntkey 600W) and is not able to deliver the power for 3 fans+mobo+other components..thats why it was giving the red light..

Now, I connected them to my PSU and my system is booting fine..I gotta dump this crap PSU asap LOL

Thanks again ihsaan96!