[SOLVED] PC not booting after vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2019
Hello, i bought an Asus vega 56 rog last month and when i inserted it fans were spinning but there were no display at all and my keyboard and mouse weren't getting any power(no lights). Even though my system parts were compatible they were rather old so i upgraded my RAM, GPU, CPU, MOBO,PSU and the same problem occurs(new build works with my old gpu 1050ti). Before returning it i want the make sure if the gpu is the faulty. So my question is can my HDD or SSD cause this problem since they are the only parts i didnt replace and can upgrading my bios help. If you have any suggestions they are also greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ram : corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200 16
cpu : 2700x
mobo : msi b450 gaming plus max
psu : evga 750 bq

Solution
Thanks for your reply. My PCIe connectors are plugged in and my build works just fine with 1050ti. In a thread which i can not find right now someone with the same problems and same GPU wrote he managed to fix it by booting with iGPU and tweaking some bios settings but since i dont have a iGPU i can not try that so i thought maybe updating bios might help(it also says in update notes that fixed some compatibility issues). However since a problem with updating can ruin my system i want to make sure if it can cause a no POST problem like mine.

I've never had a BIOS update fail. It can happen but I've updated the BIOS/UEFI/Firmware on quite a lot of devices and haven't had it happen yet. The biggest worry is a power interruption...
Dec 9, 2019
Thanks for your reply. My PCIe connectors are plugged in and my build works just fine with 1050ti. In a thread which i can not find right now someone with the same problems and same GPU wrote he managed to fix it by booting with iGPU and tweaking some bios settings but since i dont have a iGPU i can not try that so i thought maybe updating bios might help(it also says in update notes that fixed some compatibility issues). However since a problem with updating can ruin my system i want to make sure if it can cause a no POST problem like mine.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
  1. if you suspect your ssd or Hdd causing problems then just replace their cables with new ones.
  2. Update the mobo bios to the Latest version no matter what but make sure there is no chance of electricity shutoff.(just incase use an UPS)
  3. Unplug everything, and press power button for 10 seconds.
4. again plug everything in properly, turn the Main power switch from wall socket later on.

5. Install all windows updates possible.

6. Install all .Net frameworks and Sdk runtimes is needed.(maybe in windows 10 these are not needed)

7.Uninstall all older graphics softwere.***

8.try in Safe mode(let me know, maybe you pc don't even show anything ignore this step is thats the case)

9. with older gpu see whether there is any option to currect in the bios even though u don't have any built in mobo graphics.

Amd gpus are very power hungry. I had a similar case years ago where the recommended PSU was 400W an d I had a 400W Gigabyte PSU, but the psu was failing to provide enough power!! later I installed a Corsair 450W and it worked!!!
I hope this is not your case.(The minimum recommended power supply for Asus vega 56 rog is 750W) Still you can give it a try by changing the psu to 850W.(least possibility 1% and I told u already I don't hope this is your case).

If all of the above fails even if you properly connect and update everything, then the Graphics card is faulty.

Last edited:

I've never had a BIOS update fail. It can happen but I've updated the BIOS/UEFI/Firmware on quite a lot of devices and haven't had it happen yet. The biggest worry is a power interruption during a flash. When possible I do the updates via the BIOS utility at POST. Not via a utility run from Windows.

You can try resetting the clearing the CMOS. Just to make sure it isn't a BIOS setting. Although I can't see how a BIOS setting would prevent POSTing with one GPU and not another in the same slot.

I suppose an update could be needed for GPU compatibility. 7B86vH5 update mentions PCIe device compatibility. It seems unlikely though as the Vega 56 came out before B450 chipsets. They'd have already been tested before the board came out. Not something finally fixed in November 2019.

You should still run a BIOS update for other fixes though. As the latest update will also include some important AMD patches.

Reactions: hakimul.islam
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.