Question PC not booting after Windows10 update

Feb 14, 2024
Hello everyone. Last night I upgraded my old gaming PC (Acer Predator G3620) from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I want to specify that I did a clean install (using a USB drive, formatting all partitions). Everything was working fine until I shut it down. Since then, on startup, it gets stuck on the Windows 10 loading spinner and only boots in Safe Mode (without internet). I doubt it's a software issue since I did a clean install, so what do you think could be the problem? Specs: i5 3450, Nvidia GT640, 8 GB DDR3 RAM.

Feb 14, 2024
This is often a driver issue. After installing Win 10, did you update your main drivers as well?

Will safe mode with network start successfully? If not, that may be the problem device.
Every driver is updated aside from "Controller PCI Simple Communications" but I can't figure out what it is. Safe mode with network won't start, but safe mode without network will start correctly.

Hello everyone. Last night I upgraded my old gaming PC (Acer Predator G3620) from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I want to specify that I did a clean install (using a USB drive, formatting all partitions). Everything was working fine until I shut it down. Since then, on startup, it gets stuck on the Windows 10 loading spinner and only boots in Safe Mode (without internet). I doubt it's a software issue since I did a clean install, so what do you think could be the problem? Specs: i5 3450, Nvidia GT640, 8 GB DDR3 RAM.
Please explain "formatting all partitions". In a normal W10 installation you would delete all pre-existing partitions so that all of the disk is unallocated and the W10 installer would create all 4 partitions that it needs. Also, did you ensure that your disk has a GPT partition header? And your subsequent comment about the Controller PCI Simple Communications error would seem to indicate that you need either a chipset driver or other driver based on whatever motherboard model you have which you can obtain from the motherboard's website.

Feb 14, 2024
Please explain "formatting all partitions". In a normal W10 installation you would delete all pre-existing partitions so that all of the disk is unallocated and the W10 installer would create all 4 partitions that it needs.
Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Also, did you ensure that your disk has a GPT partition header? And your subsequent comment about the Controller PCI Simple Communications error would seem to indicate that you need either a chipset driver or other driver based on whatever motherboard model you have which you can obtain from the motherboard's website.
Sorry, but I don't know what a GPT partition header is. I've reinstalled W10 and everything is fine now, but it's still showing the Controller PCI Error. Should I install the driver then?

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

Sorry, but I don't know what a GPT partition header is. I've reinstalled W10 and everything is fine now, but it's still showing the Controller PCI Error. Should I install the driver then?
If you open W10's Disk Management app and right click on the left side where it usually says Disk 0 you can click on Properties and then Volumes and it will tell you what type of partition style you have.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and look at whatever drivers they provide. If you see something like intel chipset or serial IO that might be the one that resolves your error.