PC not booting, also buzzing noise.

alsahm516

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
ok so i went to upgrade my pc from a radeon r9 270x, to a gtx 1070. when u plugged in the pcie cables and booted it up. it turned off. i now hear a continuous buzzing noise from the motherboard when i boot it up, also the lights on the motherboard flash on briefly and then go out. i even tried the old gpu and it doesnt change.

jr9

Estimable
- Reseat the graphics card and try again. Check all your connections and make sure nothing is touching the motherboard and shorting it out.

- If you post your full system specs it will help us a lot.

alsahm516

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

i tried reseating, to no avail. there is no connections touching the motherboard.
my specs are
intel i5 7600k
gpu(s) are gtx 1070 rog strix, and the radeon r9 270x sapphire.
8gb ddr4 ram (crucial)
sandisk ssd 120gb
wd blue 1tb had drive
motherboard- asrock-z270 extreme 4
cooler master hyper 212 EVO
power supply- cosrair cx 550m.

i tested the power supply using a paper clip, and it turned on. so i dont know if the problem lies in the motherboard or perhaps something else?

jr9

Estimable
Your CPU and motherboard support integrated graphics. I would uninstall all graphics cards, hook up your display to the motherboard port, start up and see if you can get to Windows. If you get to Windows then it's a GPU issue or an issue with the PCIe slot. If you can't get there then it's not a GPU issue at all at we can look at other places. If removing the GPU gets the PC to boot I would consider trying another PCIe slot with the new card.

alsahm516

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

i tired this and could not get to windows it seems there is no power at all in the motherboard, as i tried the usb ports on the motherboard and they did not work. i plugged out everything from the mother board bar the ram cpu. and tried to see if i could get any sort of power yet there was nothing.

jr9

Estimable
If you have another power supply available I would consider trying it on this system first. If you don't have one I'd either borrow one or get a shop to test using one of theirs. It sounds like the power supply died if you can't get any power with no GPU if everything is hooked up correctly and there are no shorts. The buzzing noise is also something you generally see in power supplies. A less likely possibility is that the motherboard has a new short somewhere (or even less likely just died) and you could verify that by breadboarding the motherboard.

- Uninstall it from the case with the a CPU and RAM in it.
- Place on a clean cardboard surface.
- Connect only the 24pin and 8pin CPU power connections and the CPU_FAN, disconnect everything else. Remove all RAM except one stick.
- Start system and see if the CPU fan spins and the board stays powered on.

alsahm516

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

i tried this as you have described and still nothing. it seems the buzzing noise is coming from the motherboard.
however i can get the pc tested with a new power supply by a shop and see how that goes.

TRENDING THREADS