PC not booting anymore with MSI 660 GTX

rAsTamAn

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

In september last year I built myself a new computer. Everything worked fine until I installed the new graphics card, a MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC. The system just wouldn't turn on anymore. As the card was quite new at the time I thought that maybe the motherboards' BIOS did not fully support it. So I downloaded the latest BIOS, flashed it, and got the card working !
However, somewhere in early March I started having problems again. At first it was a luck-of-the-draw situation: my PC would either boot into Windows, or the display would stay on stand-by forcing me to reset. Occassionally while in Windows my PC would suddenly become very slow. There would be a delay on the mouse cursor and sound stuttering. Again a reset fixed this.
Then finally it got to the point that my PC would not POST anymore 95% of the time. The 5% that I did make it into Windows everything would be very slow again, and once there were white artifacts all across the desktop.
I removed the graphics card from the slot and booted on the onboard graphics and everything was working perfectly. Then I placed an old MSI GT 240 into the same PCI-e slot and again there were no problems whatsoever. For me this confirmed that the problem must be the graphics card, so I returned it to the shop for inspection. However, according to them the graphics card is fine, and they suggest that I check my PSU, motherboard and RAM.
What I would like to ask is if anyone has ever seen an issue like this and knows what may be the problem, or if someone can give me advice on how to narrow down the root cause ?

My specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W
RAM: 2x CORSAIR DDR-3 1600 4GB
Disk: Samsung SSD 128GB
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L12
Case: Zalman Z9 U3

Solution

Without a GPU you are probably only going to use 200 watts maxed without overclocking. Won't be a real test for a PSU.

Besides, when PSU's are running out of power they don't cause artifacing, the GPU or other components just downclock or downvolt, resulting in lower speeds. Not artifacing.

And, at idle, you would barely be using any power at all. None of your symptoms show a PSU failure, and all of your symptoms show GPU issues or driver issues.

Either the store you...

JJ1217

Honorable
Boot without GPU, uninstall Nvidia Drivers, put GPU back in, reinstall drivers. That may fix it. If it doesn't post after putting the GPU back in, try and install the drivers without the card. First thing you should always try is a driver reinstallation.

rAsTamAn

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Thanks, but shouldn't it at least make it past the BIOS if it is a driver problem ?

rAsTamAn

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

That's what I thought, but the store says that they tested the card for a day and it worked fine :??:
Any tips for rigorously testing the PSU ? Would it be enough to run Prime95 for a few hours ?

JJ1217

Honorable

Without a GPU you are probably only going to use 200 watts maxed without overclocking. Won't be a real test for a PSU.

Besides, when PSU's are running out of power they don't cause artifacing, the GPU or other components just downclock or downvolt, resulting in lower speeds. Not artifacing.

And, at idle, you would barely be using any power at all. None of your symptoms show a PSU failure, and all of your symptoms show GPU issues or driver issues.

Either the store you went to are lying just so they don't have to deal with your returned item, or its something else. I would bet money its the card or drivers.

Solution

rAsTamAn

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
@JJ1217: Thank you! My gut feeling is also that it is a problem with the card. Without that particular card the system seems very stable. But for the RMA I will need strong evidence.

So let's assume that the artifacts and slow downs were in fact a driver problem. Then there only is the fact that my PC won't POST with the card installed. It can't be a RAM or motherboard issue, because the 240GT in the same slot worked fine. Is there a way to prove that the PSU provides enough power when booting up ? Or would the power requirement of a 660 GTX at boot-up be neglectable anyway ?

JJ1217

Honorable
It would be neglectable. You would need to be in complete load, say a benchmark testing both CPU and GPU, for your PSU to be under proper stress. Basically at IDLE the GPU is almost off, it maybe takes another 40 watts.

rAsTamAn

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Just wanted to report back on this issue.
Today I went to the store with my computer case to illustrate the problem. I installed the card again and they tested it with a different PSU. The issue was still there. Then they tried a different graphics card and it worked fine. Finally we tried a new but otherwise identical card and sure enough, the problem was gone. So yeah, it must have been something with that particular card, even though their tests did not find any faults. I now have the new one installed and so far so good :)

Cheers,