PC not booting, but MB, GPU have power, 2 of the case fans turn on

Shane_916

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi,

So all of a sudden my PC is no longer turning on. The case is a cooler master Cosmos I bought about ~7 years ago but it was pretty nice at the time and the power supply is a Corsair TX850 I bought at the same time. About 2 months ago I upgraded the MB, RAM, CPU, SSD, and GPU and placed all of it into the case with the power supply and everything has been working. When I woke up the other day I hit the power button and nothing. I attempted switching the RAM sticks/slots (G skill 2x 8GB DDR4) in all configurations and nothing. No fans on either case/cpu/gpu turning on, but the Ethernet port light is on on the MB and the GPU has a small light on it. Also, my phone is charging from the MB USB port. I switched on and off the power supply switch and now hitting the power button causes the 2 top fans on the case to spin but that is it. I also tried switching the cables around for the power button and reset button to no avail.

My theory is that this is faulty/old/bad case cables but I am wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or things I can try to troubleshoot before I order a new case on Wednesday. Please and thank you!

Case: Cooler master Cosmos
PS: Corsair TX850
MB: AS Rock Z170 Pro4S
CPU: i5 6500 3.2
RAM: GSkill 2x 8GB DDR4 2400
GPU: EVGA NVidia GTX750 ti
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Shane_916

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
@johnpaul yes I did try that and it didn't work.

To update, this turned out to be a power surge that fried the MB and the GPU. Remember your surge protectors people!