Question Pc not booting consistently and shutting off after a bit?

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
I came home from work today to see my pc completely off, as well as both of my monitors off (I usually leave my pc in sleep mode and my monitors in sleep mode as well because I’m really stupid.) But anyways, the power went out at work while it was raining, so either the storm knocked out the power or someone hit some power lines. I have my pc and monitors plugged into a surge protector though, because I’m stupid but not THAT stupid. My pc only boots after having the psu switched to off for about a minute or so, but randomly turns off after a few minutes. The rgb lights stay on and the fans run very slow while it’s in this state though. The led around the power button stays on in this state as well, unlike when I try and boot when the psu hasn’t been turned off for a bit. When I try and boot when it hasn’t been off for a bit, the power button led doesn’t turn on, but all the lights and fans turn on as if nothing happened. I’ve already tried switching out the psu for another one, tried swapping graphics cards and clearing the cmos. I’m starting to believe the power outage fried my motherboard to an extent. I’m really sorry for the super long post but I’m just trying to give as much info as possible so you guys can help me as best you can.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your full system spec including PSU make and model (before and after)?

In this instance, usually the biggest 3 components to consider is the PSU, GPU, and MB. You've already swapped out the first 2 so I'd be leaning to the third.
Try breadboarding the PC and removing absolutely all non-essentials, and plugging into a different wall outlet (and different PSU cable if possible just to eliminate the possibility). So CPU, MB, Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Ouch Ouch Ouch. It is seriously not a good thing when your system is subject to a power surge. I'll usually unplug my system and the ethernet cable when I'm not using it just to avoid the chance of my system getting toasted by a surge. Usually the PSU is the item that takes the brunt of a surge if you're lucky. If you're not lucky then the mobo, and other items down the line can also be hit. At this point you really want to have known goods to test with as it sounds like you lost more then just your psu, but the big question is how much more. Does your system beep or provide any post codes by chance? If your system was really valuable and it had a surge protector you could consider contacting your power company sometimes they compensate you for damage done due to surges caused by their equipment.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
What is your full system spec including PSU make and model (before and after)?

In this instance, usually the biggest 3 components to consider is the PSU, GPU, and MB. You've already swapped out the first 2 so I'd be leaning to the third.
Try breadboarding the PC and removing absolutely all non-essentials, and plugging into a different wall outlet (and different PSU cable if possible just to eliminate the possibility). So CPU, MB, Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM.
Case: Thermaltake Core X71
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X OC @ 3.9 GHz
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 8 GB
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing 360
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 750W 80 PLUS Gold
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, SanDisk 512 GB Ultra 3D
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz

Also I failed to tell you that I already tried plugging into different wall outlets and got the same result. I was working semi fine last night after it posted into safe mode and recommended that I go back to stable settings which I thought was weird because my overclock has been stable for a year and a half since I built this system. Also I appreciate your concern and help as most guys on reddit were just kind of jerks about it.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
Define Semi-fine? Is it stable with no OC on?

And no problem, just glad we can try and help!
Semi fine as in it shuts down on occasion randomly. I can get it to post occasionally as well and actually get into windows. It was fine all last night after a lot of hassle, but this morning it turned on and went into windows but shut off after a bit. I’m hoping and praying it’s just the cmos battery which I will be replacing tonight after work, but spirits are pretty low right now lol

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
CMOS batteries aren't renowned for causing restarts. They effectively help store all of your BIOS information. But it's certainly possible.
Did you try breadboarding to see if the reboots occur? I'd also try removing the front panel from your motherboard to ensure it's not a faulty switch.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
CMOS batteries aren't renowned for causing restarts. They effectively help store all of your BIOS information. But it's certainly possible.
Did you try breadboarding to see if the reboots occur? I'd also try removing the front panel from your motherboard to ensure it's not a faulty switch.
I’ll have to google what breadboarding is and give that a try when I get home (I’m still kind of a noob when it comes to troubleshooting) but I’m not sure it’s the front panel because it always supplies power when I press it, it just won’t boot completely all the time

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
I had the 1000 watt version of the Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 80 PLUS Gold do this on a system not consuming nearly that much power. I replaced it with a good SeaSonic 850 watt and have never seen an issue. This SeaSonic 850 is superior to the Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 80 PLUS Gold 1000w:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151188&ignorebbr=1

Get rid of the Thermaltake.
Was it just your psu or was it the motherboard also? Because I switched out the psu in my rig for another one (another thermaltake ironically) and I got the same result. Pressing the power button have the rig life but wouldn’t boot or post.

Was it just your psu or was it the motherboard also? Because I switched out the psu in my rig for another one (another thermaltake ironically) and I got the same result. Pressing the power button have the rig life but wouldn’t boot or post.

I considered the motherboard, and so had first tried replacing that and ram. memtest86 had gone for hours without a memory error, and yet when I started using games which used more power (memtest86 barely uses any power) I started getting mysterious crashes and shutdowns. Replaced the PSU and all the problems went away. I later upgraded to the Titan Xp/6600x (which uses more power than the Phenom II) and still no problems. It was the power supply (which was the thermaltake toughpower 1000w supply).