[SOLVED] PC not booting, CPU and DRAM leds flashing

Oct 7, 2020
It doesn't even boot to bios, just a black screen with fans going. The leds flash pretty much at the same time, though the CPU goes on slightly before the DRAM and they both flash relatively quickly on and off.

The weird thing is that if I change the slots my ram is in, it boots up fine and works perfectly, but it will do it again later when I try boot up my pc (though not consistently, sometimes I'll get it started a couple times no problem before it acts up, and other times it'll do it right away)

I've tried restoring the settings on bios to default and then turning on a-xmp from there, but no luck.

My pc is as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (with stock cooler)
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard: MSI b350 pcmate
Ram: 16gb (2x8)
Hard drives: 1tb wd blue (hdd) and 500gb wd green (ssd)
Power supply: Antec HCG750 gold

My 2 ram sticks are from different manufacturers (Ballistix and Corsair) as I got the second a while after the first and couldn't get hold of the same stick, but they're the same speed etc, so the should be compatible as far as I'm aware but idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Lutfij

Titan
Which slots are they populating when you don't get POST/BIOS splash screen and when you change them to XY slots, they produce a display?

Also, I'm an advocate of NOT mixing and matching ram sticks, work with one or work with two of the same(identical) sticks of ram. Look at rams like you do with buying a pair of shoes. If you loose a shoe from a pair, would you be able to buy just one shoe out of that pair from the dealer even after you explained it to the retailer? The answer is no.

Reactions: Imboyo
Oct 7, 2020
Which slots are they populating when you don't get POST/BIOS splash screen and when you change them to XY slots, they produce a display?

Also, I'm an advocate of NOT mixing and matching ram sticks, work with one or work with two of the same(identical) sticks of ram. Look at rams like you do with buying a pair of shoes. If you loose a shoe from a pair, would you be able to buy just one shoe out of that pair from the dealer even after you explained it to the retailer? The answer is no.

Not particular slots, say I have them in 2 and 4 and it isn't booting, if I switch to 1 and 3, it'll boot, but then later it won't boot, but will start up when I switch to 2 and 4 again.

Yeah, I would have gone for the same stick, but for the life of me I couldn't source one, I'm probably going to sell one (the 1st one I got) and get a second of the same later, but I don't have the money atm.