Question PC not booting, CPU LED flashes red once followed by the DRAM LED lighting up.

Jun 12, 2019
What could be the cause of this? I tried checking the pins on the CPU socket if they were bent, but it didn't seem like it, i also tired booting it with only one of the RAM sticks to see if one was bad (Did this with both of them), its still possible both are bad but they were running fine in another system just yesterday.

Jun 12, 2019
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING
Intel Core i9-9900K
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16
Corsair HX850

Jun 12, 2019
hi Jalman, the problem with your pc could be the bios battery on the motherboard needs to replaced. Is your pc more than about 4-5 years old, then remove the battery,
it is about 20mm in diameter, and will have numbers on it. it may be stamped CR2032
which is a very common battery. If you can measure the voltage, it should be 3 volts or
over for your pc to work. hope this helpsyou.

Jun 12, 2019
hi Jalman, the problem with your pc could be the bios battery on the motherboard needs to replaced. Is your pc more than about 4-5 years old, then remove the battery,
it is about 20mm in diameter, and will have numbers on it. it may be stamped CR2032
which is a very common battery. If you can measure the voltage, it should be 3 volts or
over for your pc to work. hope this helpsyou.
The system is brand new so that shouldn't be a problem. Tested with my older computers battery in case the motherboard was shipped with a bad battery but no luck there either.

That RAM if I have the correct model number (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) are on your MB's RAM QVL so they are compatible.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MING/ROG_Strix_Z390-F_Gaming_QVL_20190109.pdf
Did you put them in the correct Slots (A2 and B2) as shown on page 1-5 of the Manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E14842_ROG_STRIX_Z390-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
Yes, I have the RAM in those slots.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 12, 2019
Have you tried the RAM back in the other PC? Also you might try disconnecting everything from the motherboard apart from the PSU and monitor, and see what happens when you start the pc. If that is ok, install the ram, try that, if ok connect the
rest of the parts one by one, testing after each is connected. If the pc goes into the fault mode, you have narrowed down the culprit. Sorry about my previous message about the battery, did not know it is a new build.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 12, 2019
Have you tried the RAM back in the other PC? Also you might try disconnecting everything from the motherboard apart from the PSU and monitor, and see what happens when you start the pc. If that is ok, install the ram, try that, if ok connect the
rest of the parts one by one, testing after each is connected. If the pc goes into the fault mode, you have narrowed down the culprit. Sorry about my previous message about the battery, did not know it is a new build.
So I did this and it seems the problem lies with the CPU. Now is it possible to know if the problem lies with the CPU socket on the motherboard or if it lies with the CPU itself with this test?

Jun 12, 2019
Maybe the only way is to try a similar CPU with your motherboard, or vice versa.

If your power supply unit is new, maybe you could try a known good PSU with

your motherboard to see what happens, and maybe rule out the PSU or the

motherboard.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi Jalman, welcome to the forums my friend.

Please see this guide to cover all the core elements for your PC not booting correctly: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Whilst it certainly can be CPU, it's rare for a CPU to go faulty with proper use - but the above guide should help narrow down what the problem may be.

It may seem obvious, but just confirming you also have a CPU cooler attached and correctly wired to the motherboard?