PC not booting into windows 7 if I have more than 4gbs of ram installed

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Today, tried to upgrade my ram to 8gbs of ddr2 pc2 6400. The ram is compatible, im using 4.gbs of it right now to boot. The pc seems to not boot into windows 7, Boot into the Setup disk or startup repair. I have tried with 6gbs installed but it freezes. My motherboard is the Asus Benicia. I know its not a hardware problem since all slots work and all ram works.

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
I have 64 bit, I even tried to install windows on a test harddrive that had no os on it and it bluescreened when I tried to do the setup with 8gbs, 6 gbs made it freeze.

I think your old ram just doesn't like the new ram. Even if the same brand, model, speed, etc. there are compatibility issues sometimes. That is why ram is sold in kits, the sticks are tested together and are proven to work together.

Have you tried booting up with just the new ram? If it works fine, I would bet on a compatibility issue.

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Yeah, sorry, i should of said it, I have been using the new ram the whole time

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

Yeah, thats my motherboard. My mobo meets the requirements for the ram. Im going to check the bios and cpu-z right now.

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

The ram are identical. I also couldn't find a dual channel option in my bios, its a v2.61 american megatrends bios

Ok, it is good that they are identical. Odd that you couldn't find the dual channel option in the BIOS. Maybe it is automatically applied. I don't have a computer with american megatrends bios. I used to but it is partially disassembled in my "spare parts" closet.

Is there a later bios version available for your motherboard? Go to your computer manufacturers website and search for support for that motherboard. Since it is pretty old, you may not have much luck there.

I am signing out for tonight, but will check back tomorrow morning. Maybe some "experts" will chime in who know more than I do. I am not much of an expert but am generally good at troubleshooting.

anthonyorm

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Okay, i will look for a bios update. thanks for your help