[SOLVED] Pc not booting, only power cycling

May 30, 2020
I had recently build a new computer and I’m having issues getting it to boot. After turning on the computer it lights up and all fans run but then quickly shuts off and turns back on a couple seconds later. It keeps doing this and never fully boots. The RAM also doesn’t light up but I’m not sure that should matter for this.

Specs

Cpu- Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard- MSI b450-A pro Max
Gpu- ROG Strix gaming 1660 super 6 GB
Ram- Trident Z RGB 3600hz 8 GB x 2
PSU- EVGA 750 GQ

I checked the pins to make sure there weren’t any bent pins. Tried running it with one stick and no RAM. I made sure all the power cable connections were in right and in the right place. Took out the motherboard battery for 8-10 mins and put it back in (was told this would do the same as jumping the CMOS. Also the EZ Debug LED for the CPU Lights up but the DIMM or VGA doesn’t.

Any ideas of what I should do?

Solution
Manual of MSI:
"Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive. Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.

1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously. "

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
I had recently build a new computer and I’m having issues getting it to boot. After turning on the computer it lights up and all fans run but then quickly shuts off and turns back on a couple seconds later. It keeps doing this and never fully boots. The RAM also doesn’t light up but I’m not sure that should matter for this.

Specs

Cpu- Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard- MSI b450-A pro Max
Gpu- ROG Strix gaming 1660 super 6 GB
Ram- Trident Z RGB 3600hz 8 GB x 2
PSU- EVGA 750 GQ

I checked the pins to make sure there weren’t any bent pins. Tried running it with one stick and no RAM. I made sure all the power cable connections were in right and in the right place. Took out the motherboard battery for 8-10 mins and put it back in (was told this would do the same as jumping the CMOS. Also the EZ Debug LED for the CPU Lights up but the DIMM or VGA doesn’t.

Any ideas of what I should do?

It looks like a bad memory ram position, change the slots from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 and check if it works.

May 30, 2020
You likely need to update the bios to run the 3600, it's way newer than the board itself.

Luckily the board has usb flashback so this is possible, you will need a working pc and a USB stick to do this.
I don’t think the bios actully updated. Idk if I’m doing it wrong but I plug the usb in with a renamed unzipped update file and then press the button in. The light flashes three times then goes away

Manual of MSI:
"Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive. Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.

1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously. "

The BIOS on the MAX boards are already updated and ready for the 3600 processor.
That´s true, but there are 5 more BIOS updates for this board, could sort out incompatibility issues with RAM, NVMe, PCIe devices

Solution