Question PC not booting properly for hours every time it’s turned on or woken up from sleep ?

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
My PC randomly wakes up from sleep mode to no signal and no input affects it. The keyboard and mouse don’t light up as they do usually during use and nothing has any impact on it’s functionally. When I turn it off with the power button and turn it back on the same issue persists. While this happens the CPU light on the motherboard also turns on red. This CPU and GPU were previously in an older pc and worked fine so I can rule them out. The RAM is also replaced and working fine. I tried a different CPU after turning off my PC to test if it’s that but the same process still happens. The only way to boot the PC is to take the graphics card out along with the CMOS battery, unattach the power supply from the power cord and leave the pc for a few hours, then putting it back together it manages to boot. However, as soon as it’s put into sleep or turned off the same issue persists and cycle repeats. I suspect it’s either the motherboard or power supply, which would be more likely?

Lutfij

Titan
I'm assuming you performed a motherboard upgrade/swap. If so, did you reinstall the OS after the swap or were you running on the prior OS install in spite of the swap? Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

^ we'll be seeing two sets of specs , one for before changes and one for after parts changes.

The last few lines of your thread's body tells me that you're suffering from a grounding issue, one where discharging the system/innards allows you to power up when reassembled. You can put my theory to the test, by disconnecting the system from the wall and all peripherals/monitors, then press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnect all wires and then attempt a cold boot. If it boots, you're suffering from a grounding issue.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I'm assuming you performed a motherboard upgrade/swap. If so, did you reinstall the OS after the swap or were you running on the prior OS install in spite of the swap? Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

^ we'll be seeing two sets of specs , one for before changes and one for after parts changes.

The last few lines of your thread's body tells me that you're suffering from a grounding issue, one where discharging the system/innards allows you to power up when reassembled. You can put my theory to the test, by disconnecting the system from the wall and all peripherals/monitors, then press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnect all wires and then attempt a cold boot. If it boots, you're suffering from a grounding issue.

Yes I installed a new version of windows on this PC. The only components which are the same are the CPU and GPU from the previous PC. I’ll list both PC parts when I managed to get it to work. I tried your method and it didn’t work, the PC still doesn’t turn on with the CPU light being red. The motherboard OS was updated to the latest one recently. I ordered a new PSU which will come later. If that fixes the problem it must’ve it been it all along if not it’s the motherboard most likely or some wiring issues.

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I got the new PSU, I replaced the old one with it and the issue is still not fixed. I took apart the entire pc and redone it from scratch yet the issue still persists, red light CPU on motherboard and won’t launch with no signal. Is the motherboard the issue?