[SOLVED] PC not booting/starting up ?

Mar 26, 2023
Hey all, I did not really want to post here and bother people with similar questions, but I have looked here and there and am unsure what to do. I have had this PC for over a year with no problems, and just now it is starting to have problems.

Heres a little backstory:

My PC died while playing a game

I was playing MW2, my screen turned black, but my PC stayed on and I was unable to shut it down using the power button even whilst holding it down. I had to shut it down using the power switch on the back of the PSU.

I flipped it back on and powered it up again but nothing changed, instead I come to find on my MSI MOBO there's a white light next to the CPU EZ Debug thingy they have.

I waited a bit and i turned it back on, the white light showed up, but it disappeared, my screen turned on and everything “worked”
I opened task manager, clicked where it said CPU in the performance section and you guessed it, my screen turned black and all of my peripherals turned off as well (Mouse n Keyboard)

I waited an entire night whilst having the cmos battery removed and the psu unplugged from the pc and then reinstalled it and try powering it back up to no avail, only having the same thing happening again and again.

I will also note that i did use my pc for a LAN party, I transported from my house and back with the pc standing (not the best idea, but it was the only way to keep it secure to where I was going) and it has worked both there and here at home, and it has been working at home for the last 4 days.

I do get a “no signal” from my monitor, at this point i’m not sure if the gpu is fried, because it does power on, led, fans and everything.

I have unplugged and reseated every component in my computer, the main ones being CPU and GPU, and tried turning it on only for it to do the same black screen and no signal.

I plugged in an hdmi cord to the hdmi output in the motherboard, and once i turned it back on again it shutdown showing me that my cpu is overheating.

No, I did not put the cooler on the cpu because I wanted to see if it would boot first, and if everything was good after reseating, but I am very confused as to why my CPU is overheating, not even getting onto the bios screen. No CPU should overheat just by starting up the bios screen so at this point I'm not sure what's wrong, it could be a faulty CPU, PSU, or motherboard.

If anyone knows what could be going on and can help would truly appreciate it.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: MSI B450 Pro
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: ASRock 6900 XT
RAM: DDR4 16 GB
PSU: Corsair AX860 860w
Monitor: Samsung 49"Neo G9

Mar 26, 2023
How did you determine that the CPU was overheating?
DaleH
I had powered on the system and i received a message on the screen and a loud beep from the motherboard stating that it was overheating, i had also touched the cpu with my finger to see if this was true and it was, the cpu had burned my finger.
I am going to try replacing the psu today and see if that can change anything.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
do you have a voltmeter? you might want to search for "system Information for Windows" at gtopala.com. This is great software. There is a free version, but an investment in the technician version is well worthwhile. Tells me just about everything about the system.
DaleH

Reactions: noslwb
Mar 26, 2023
do you have a voltmeter? you might want to search for "system Information for Windows" at gtopala.com. This is great software. There is a free version, but an investment in the technician version is well worthwhile. Tells me just about everything about the system.
DaleH
Seems intersting I would have checked it out if my pc were able to start up using the psu that was in it originally. I changed the psu and cables for everytging and now my pc works normally.