Rejand

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi!

So I bought a noctua NH-D15 to replace my stock ryzen wraight cooler, when I was taking the wraight cooler off the cpu came out with it, and i noticed that maybe 2-3 pins were bent, i straightened them with a tiny screwdriver and the cpu was able to fit back into the socket, secured it into the socket and applied thermal paste, installed the noctua and now the pc doesnt want to boot up.

There is a light on the mobo that shows that there is power, and theres a light on the gpu as well, meaning everything is receiving power. The fans dont spin on anything when I press the power button, no rgb lights up, no hard drives are heard, just... nothing. Any idea what the issue might be, is it possible that the cpu is dead?

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700
2x8GB G.skill RAM
GTX 1070Ti 8GB
Seasonic 620w Bronze

Jun 9, 2019
It would seem to me that your fix for the bent pins wasn't good enough. You'll need to remove cooler and CPU again and check if the pins really are all properly seating. Also make sure you got no thermal paste on any pins or the socket. Also see if there is any chance you can wedge something between the CPU and cooler and twist ist left and right as much as possible when pulling it off.

I have read quite a few posts here and in other places (well mostly other places) where the CPU got pulled out of its socket. At least it means that your thermal paste application is good :)

I hope your CPU is still OK. I have straightened bent pins a few times the CPUs were always fine.

Rejand

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
It would seem to me that your fix for the bent pins wasn't good enough. You'll need to remove cooler and CPU again and check if the pins really are all properly seating. Also make sure you got no thermal paste on any pins or the socket. Also see if there is any chance you can wedge something between the CPU and cooler and twist ist left and right as much as possible when pulling it off.

I have read quite a few posts here and in other places (well mostly other places) where the CPU got pulled out of its socket. At least it means that your thermal paste application is good :)

I hope your CPU is still OK. I have straightened bent pins a few times the CPUs were always fine.

Alright, I've put everything apart once more and when I was taking the noctua off I pulled the CPU out with it again! 2 pins were slightly bent, I used a razor blade to straighten them, the CPU was able to fit back into the socket, then I rocked the locking arm back and forth a little bit just to make sure pins are as straight as possible.

Managed to put everything back together, plugged in the PC into the power, switched the power switch on the PSU on, the GPU and mobo power lights went on, pressed the power button... aand voila! It boots! Thanks for your encouragement, it's working perfectly fine now!

comdhavoc_1

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
its strange that the cpu comes out of the socket when removing the cpu cooler. the socket with the retention arm should keep that from happening. afterall its there to lock the cpu in place.