Question PC not booting up - can faulty CPU cause ram to not work?

Aug 9, 2020
Firstly, here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/4Stra/saved/#view=CwZRvK

The problem all started when my motherboard got fried by a nearby lightning strike (PC had a surge protector but the router it was connected to didn't...) and basically I knew for sure the mother board wasn't working and I replaced it. After that, I plugged it all back up and got all the lights and fans running, but the ram lights weren't lighting up so I got some new ones b/c I didn't have any friends nearby with PCs to test my ram with. Next, the new ram came in and still the same problem came up...ram isn't lighting up and PC isn't booting up.

I took the CPU out and thought maybe something with it was wrong; I did see the (very) slightest bit of discoloring in one area of it, but not sure if that means its also fried (this is my first build so not very experienced w/ all this). If the CPU is indeed faulty, could that cause the ram to not light up and the PC to not boot up?

Aug 9, 2020
Yes faulty cpu can cause ram issues, but try different slots first. Also carefully check the socket for bent pins.
Unfortunately I've tried both and those don't seem to be the problem. Would it be safe to consider the CPU the reason the RAM isn't lighting up or booting up the computer if everything else is running normally? If so, I could go ahead and order another one and see...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I would caution against going out and buying new random parts. If you are not good with diagnosing and troubleshooting a PC, so you can tell by 100% certainty, this is the part that is broken, I would take the PC to local shop for diagnosis. What does it cost, 50 dollars?

Instead of spending 100s of dollars and it might not even fix your problem? What if it is the PSU?
Besides, the local PC shop can most likely sell you the part and install it with no extra charge.

TRENDING THREADS