Question PC not booting up, solve the mystery!

manfredisaber

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m no expert but I successfully built 7 (whoa) PCs for my friends with no issues whatsoever. Recently a dear friend of mine bought his first PC and handed over to me each and every component; I did what I always did, but the PC isn’t turning on. My bet (no cockyness) is that might be a faulty component. So I’m here asking how to narrow down the issue to one component only.
Let’s say everything is well connected and working, here’s the situation: PSU switch turned on, MOBO lights up (but nothing else, not even RGB RAM sticks), power button in the front case pressed and nothing happens, literally nothing. Tried to jump power switch connector on the MOBO (maybe case wires are faulty), but same result.
So, could be anything. Lets see if the PSU is working: tried to jump with a pin, and the PSU is solid spinning, RGB of the AIO lights up and two fans linked to it are spinning aswell. Nice, the PSU should be fine! BUT: RAM sticks are still turned off, and since those are RGBs they should light up, right? Tried with one stick only, in every port, nothing. Is my task finished here? So the issue must be with RAM? Or should I continue, maybe I’m wrong with something else?

Many thanks in advance for your attention!

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Hello everyone,

I’m no expert but I successfully built 7 (whoa) PCs for my friends with no issues whatsoever. Recently a dear friend of mine bought his first PC and handed over to me each and every component; I did what I always did, but the PC isn’t turning on. My bet (no cockyness) is that might be a faulty component. So I’m here asking how to narrow down the issue to one component only.
Let’s say everything is well connected and working, here’s the situation: PSU switch turned on, MOBO lights up (but nothing else, not even RGB RAM sticks), power button in the front case pressed and nothing happens, literally nothing. Tried to jump power switch connector on the MOBO (maybe case wires are faulty), but same result.
So, could be anything. Lets see if the PSU is working: tried to jump with a pin, and the PSU is solid spinning, RGB of the AIO lights up and two fans linked to it are spinning aswell. Nice, the PSU should be fine! BUT: RAM sticks are still turned off, and since those are RGBs they should light up, right? Tried with one stick only, in every port, nothing. Is my task finished here? So the issue must be with RAM? Or should I continue, maybe I’m wrong with something else?

Many thanks in advance for your attention!
Forget about the rgb lights on the ram stick. The most important question is did your pc boot up to windows?

manfredisaber

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
Forget about the rgb lights on the ram stick. The most important question is did your pc boot up to windows?
Hi, many thanks for replying.
No, the PC never turned on. Only MOBO lights are up, not even light string on front panel are up! But, with the pin trick, MOBO lights don't turn up, but I get 2 fans spinning, PSU spinning, AIO lights upon CPU and also front panel string lights.

manfredisaber

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
Seems like youll need to update your motherboard bios to make that cpu compatible.
Yes, I did it; or, at least, I think I did. Thing is I'm not in town, so I have very little tools with me, and using a macbook of my brothers to do research. Anyway, I flashed the bios with the pen drive BUT I skipped the "rename bios file" because it's a windows .exe; but I don't think this could be the problem. If you believe so, that I must rename the bios file, could you upload it for me, please? Thanks in advance for your kind support!

EDIT: managed to successfully update the bios to lates version, still no spark of life.

Last edited: