[SOLVED] PC not booting Windows

Feb 13, 2021
Well i had a Pentium Dual Core E5400 processor. I decided to upgrade to Core 2 Quad Q8400. The new processor is showing up in BIOS ( i mean its name and stuff ) but when i try to boot it doesnt boot.
Please Help me !

Solution
What is the model of the motherboard? Are you certain it even supports the Core2Quad processors (just because it's the same socket, doesn't mean it's supported).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Now that we've confirmed that the processor is supported, we can look to other issues. I'm afraid the next step is to break it all down again and check for any bent pins.

If there are no bent pins, what power supply do you have installed? I doubt the extra 30 watts the new CPU requires would be too much, but if you have a borderline PSU already and you're adding 30 watts to the CPU socket, that may be enough to push it over the limit.

Finally, if you replace the Pentium Dual Core into the CPU Socket, does the system start up like it used to? Where did you get the Core2Quad from and were you able to test it's functionality before you bought it?

-Wolf sends

Reactions: SamirD
Feb 13, 2021
Ok. Now that we've confirmed that the processor is supported, we can look to other issues. I'm afraid the next step is to break it all down again and check for any bent pins.

If there are no bent pins, what power supply do you have installed? I doubt the extra 30 watts the new CPU requires would be too much, but if you have a borderline PSU already and you're adding 30 watts to the CPU socket, that may be enough to push it over the limit.

Finally, if you replace the Pentium Dual Core into the CPU Socket, does the system start up like it used to? Where did you get the Core2Quad from and were you able to test it's functionality before you bought it?

-Wolf sends
My PSU is a 450 W + 4 Pin Tango PSU.
Brought it from a local store. It was working there.
When C2Q is installed comp. Turn on like normal i can even open BIOS. If i check in BIOS the processor name,speed appears. But when i try to boot windows it doesnt. In win 10 when there is that windows logo with loading thingy. It doesnt go further.
Just remains there. I tried reinstalling windows but same there it cant boot from usb too . In case of windows installation media it restarts automatically after reaching the dialog box which says install now at middle.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Maybe try updating the BIOS? Also I don't think you can do this with a locked Intel chip like what you have, but if you can, I'd suggest trying to reduce the core and Northridge (I think that's what it's called for Intel (infinity fabric for AMD)) clocks in case there's an instability of some type there.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes i can do it with dual core but cant do it with C2Q
Simply changing the CPU should not require a Windows reinstall.

If you were able to complete the installation of Windows 10 with the Pentium Dual-Core processor installed, you should be able to:

1. Shut down the system, unplug it, and open the case.
  2. Remove the CPU Cooler.
  3. Swap out the CPU
  4. Reinstall the cooler (after cleaning and re-applying thermal paste).
  5. Closing the case, plugging it back in and powering up.

This SHOULD work, If it doesn't, the only thing I can think of would be the power supply or a BIOS update is required (though the G41 chip set should support the core2quads), but I haven't been able to find an update.

-Wolf sends

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Why don't you try running memtest and see if that'll boot? Also have you tried booting linux? If its a psu problem linux will def fail but memtest86 might boot (emphasis on might) and if they both boot I wonder if it could be BIOS. Wolfshadow, does the AGESA code get updated at BIOS install or automatically when the cpu is placed in the mobo? If its only at install could his C2Q be running an older AGESA code that causes problems?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Why don't you try running memtest and see if that'll boot? Also have you tried booting linux? If its a psu problem linux will def fail but memtest86 might boot (emphasis on might) and if they both boot I wonder if it could be BIOS. Wolfshadow, does the AGESA code get updated at BIOS install or automatically when the cpu is placed in the mobo? If its only at install could his C2Q be running an older AGESA code that causes problems?
Never mind about the agesa idea, thats stored eith the BIOS apparently and is only amd.