PC not booting

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
Hello everyone. This is my 3rd question after a long time because I was happy with my computer until a problem poped up and I had to take help from you all. Thanks for reading.

I have a wifi router at home which I usually turn on all night and all day(24X7). 2 days back at around 5AM a sudden lightning took place and the sound was so intense that almost everybody in my locality woke up. From that time the net servers in our locality were down and the engineers on the field had to work for a day and more to fix the issue. When the lightning took place I was sleeping and my PC was completely off except that the LAN cable from the wifi was plugged in. The PC was completely off. That day I used my computer as I do the rest of the days(run the PC for around 8-9 hours) but I noticed a little lagg but no freezes. Next day when the net came back I downloaded WWE from torrent and was watching it when suddenly the whole system froze and the only thing I can do is to just move the mouse pointer on the screen. Then suddenly the PC shut down on its own. I tried restarting it but it showed up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert proper boot media in selected device". I disconnected all the cables for around a hour and waited. On my next attempt the PC started but it was so so laggy and had lots of freezes that I had to shut it down from the power button. Again I disconnected all the cables and waited. From that time till now whenever I turn on my PC I encounter the same error showing "Reeboot and select proper boot device or Insert proper boot media in selected device" and the HDD is not been detected in the boot priority no matter how many times I change sata port or cables or restart my PC. My PC expert uncle came and told me that it is a HDD failure and I cannot do anything now. He told me that he will give me a spare HDD of 160GB capacity.
Now my question is that:
1. Will that HDD work in my PC? (specifications given below)
2. What caused the HDD to fail?

Specifications:
Asus M5A97 R2.0
AMD FX 8350
Gskill 4*2=8GB DDR3 RAM
Zotac Nvidia GT 630 2GB DDR3

Seagate Barracuda 500GB internal HDD (4 yrs old) (failed HDD)

Thanks in advance for spending your valuable time to read my post and answering...

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015

Yes I downloaded the WWE Raw and was watching it on VLC media player when the PC froze and then suddenly shut down and gave the error. I have lot of airflow in my PC. So I dont think heat is a problem. and The HDD was not that old. Really suspicious.