I7 2700k
GA 77P D3
Gtx 1060 3gb
16gb ram
Evga 750w gq
2x 1tb 7200 rpm Seagate barracuda
1x 3tb 7200 rpm Seagate barracuda
1x 240gb inland ssd
I've been having some problems with my fps in some games, running some tests I realized that one of my ram sticks was faulty, so I found out which one was with the problem and removed it, everything started working fine again. Last week, my pc suddenly didn't boot, it would turn on for a couple of seconds, all the case fans and cpu fan would turn on, then after a couple of seconds the gpu fans stopped spinning, then the whole system would shut down, without any image showing in the monitor. I did some research and found it could be ram problem again, so I removed all the sticks left (3x 4gb, with two corsair sticks on dual channel and one pny on single), cleaned them and put them back on, the pc booted fine. Today it happened again, this time cleaning the sticks again didn't do anything, I started double checking the cables on the motherboard, all well placed. Then when I started removing each component one by one I noticed that if I remove the DVD reader, the system won't turn on at all, only the front fan turns on, but it shuts down after half a second. I honestly can't figure at all what's the problem, how removing the DVD reader could make the situation worse? I already tested the gpu, I have an old gtx 750 ti, neither with it or using the internal graphics works. Also removing all my storage devices one by one didn't work neither. Does anyone have any solution in mind?
Thanks in advance

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
I would try running the system outside the case, because my first thought is that it might be a short circuit somewhere. The second thought is that you might probably have some problems with south bridge or with another chip, so try to touch it with fingers to find out if it’s not overheating. [Be careful, because your body might contain static electricity, so get rid of it first or use a bracelet].
Also, try running with minimum of components: psu, mb, cpu, 1ram stick. If it wouldn’t work, then without ram at all. Also, try to clear cmos: remove the battery and use a jumper or something metal for a few seconds on contacts CLR_CMOS at the right bottom of your motherboard.

Renan003

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
I tried everything you mentioned and nothing worked, also, after removing the mobo from the case, I cleaned it, changed the cpu thermal paste and cleaned the gpu fans, nothing

Renan003

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
I'm pretty sure the problem is the motherboard, since these are the things I've tried:
Removing each storage device one by one;
Removing all the case fans, gpu and Sata devices, leaving only one ram module and the cpu on;
Using a working ram module (from a working pc, the module was working before and after the test) ;
Removing the motherboard from the case and turning it on;
Switching the bios battery, and in the process reseting the bios;
Removed the cpu, re-applied the thermal paste and made sure it was well attached and;
Switching the power supply (the other one was also working).